[openstack-dev] Bots and Their Effects: Gerrit, IRC, other

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Thu Mar 24 13:42:36 UTC 2016

Excerpts from Flavio Percoco's message of 2016-03-24 09:12:36 -0400:
> On 23/03/16 16:27 -0400, Anita Kuno wrote:
> >Bots are very handy for doing repetitive tasks, we agree on that.
> >
> >Bots also require permissions to execute certain actions, require
> >maintenance to ensure they operate as expected and do create output
> >which is music to some and noise to others. Said output is often
> >archieved somewhere which requires additional decisions.
> >
> >This thread is intended to initiate a conversation about bots. So far we
> >have seen developers want to use bots in Gerrit[0] and in IRC[1]. The
> >conversation starts there but isn't limited to these tools if folks have
> >usecases for other bots.
> >
> >I included an item on the infra meeting agenda for yesterday's meeting
> >(April 22, 2016) and discovered there was enough interest[2] in a
> >discussion to take it to the list, so here it is.
> >
> >So some items that have been raised thus far:
> >- permissions: having a bot on gerrit with +2 +A is something we would
> >like to avoid
>
> To be honest, I wouldn't mind having a bot +2A on specific cases. An example
> would be requirements syncs that have passed the gate or trasnlations. I
> normally ninja-approve those and I don't really mind doing it but, I wouldn't
> mind having those patches approved automatically since they don't really require
> a review.

The problem with automating some of those things is we have to take
into account schedules, outages, gate issues, and other reasons
when we should *not* take automated actions. We can code some of
those things into the bots, but I expect there will always be special
cases.

To look at patches generated by bots (Zanata, requirements updates,
etc.), we purposefully have those bots introduce the patches because
producing them is a repetitive task, ripe for automation.  We do
not let the bots automatically approve those patches so we can
retain control over *when* changes land, because knowing when it's
OK to merge a change requires knowledge outside of what the bot
will have.

This is also why we've been working so hard to put together a
reviewable release process. Building the package is highly automatable.
Knowing when it's OK to build the package is not.

Doug