[openstack-dev] Bots and Their Effects: Gerrit, IRC, other

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Mar 24 08:56:16 UTC 2016

Anita Kuno wrote:
> [...]
> So some items that have been raised thus far:
> - permissions: having a bot on gerrit with +2 +A is something we would
> like to avoid
> - "unsanctioned" bots (bots not in infra config files) in channels
> shared by multiple teams (meeting channels, the -dev channel)
> - forming a dependence on bots and expecting infra to maintain them ex
> post facto (example: bot soren maintained until soren didn't)
> - causing irritation for others due to the presence of an echoing bot
> which eventually infra will be asked or expected to mediate
> - duplication of features, both meetbot and purplebot log channels and
> host the archives in different locations
> - canonical bot doesn't get maintained

So it feels like people write their own bot rather than contribute to
the already-existing infrastructure bots (statusbot and meetbot) -- is
there a reason for that, beyond avoiding the infra contribution process ?

I was faced with such a decision when I coded up the #success feature,
but I ended up just adding the feature to the existing statusbot, rather
than create my own successbot. Are there technical limitations in the
existing bots that prevent people from adding the features they want there ?

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)