[openstack-dev] [TripleO][Heat][Kolla][Magnum] The zen of Heat, containers, and the future of TripleO

Steven Dake (stdake) stdake at cisco.com
Wed Mar 23 22:44:00 UTC 2016

On 3/23/16, 2:36 PM, "Steven Hardy" <shardy at redhat.com> wrote:

>On Wed, Mar 23, 2016 at 01:01:03AM +0000, Fox, Kevin M wrote:
>> +1 for TripleO taking a look at Kolla.
>>
>> Some random thoughts:
>>
>> I'm in the middle of deploying a new cloud and I couldn't use either
>>TripleO or Kolla for various reasons. A few reasons for each:
>>  * TripeO - worries me for ever having to do a major upgrade of the
>>software, or needing to do oddball configs like vxlans over ipoib.
>>  * Kolla - At the time it was still immature. No stable artefacts
>>posted. database container recently broke, little documentation for
>>disaster recovery. No upgrade strategy at the time.
>>
>> Kolla rearchitected recently to support oddball configs like we've had
>>to do at times. They also recently gained upgrade support. I think they
>>are on the right path. If I had to start fresh, I'd very seriously
>>consider using it.
>>
>> I think Kolla can provide the missing pieces that TripleO needs.
>>TripleO has bare metal deployment down solid. I really like the idea of
>>using OpenStack to deploy OpenStack. Kolla is now OpenStack so should be
>>considered.
>
>As mentioned in another reply, one of the aims of current refactoring work
>in TripleO is to enable folks to leverage the barematal (and networking)
>aspects of TripleO, then hand off to another tool should they so wish.
>
>This could work really well if you wanted to layer ansible deployed kolla
>containers on top of some TripleO deployed nodes (in fact it's one of the
>use-cases we had in mind when deciding to do it).
>
>I do however have several open questions regarding kolla (and the various
>other ansible based solutions like openstack-ansible):
>
>- What does the HA model look like, is active/active HA fully supported
>  accross multiple controllers?

Kolla is active/active HA with a recommended minimum of 3 nodes.  Kolla
does not do network isolation nor detect failure of components.  Docker
does detect failure of containers and restarts them so we are covered in
the general case of a process stop-crash.  In the case of a node loss,
failure detection is not done, and is a weakness in the current HA
implementation.

>- Is SSL fully supported for the deployed services?

External SSL is implemented in Mitaka.  Internal SSL is not.  What this
means is you can do something like for a developer:

kolla-anible certificates
kolla-ansible deploy
Copy the haproxy-ca.crt file to your workstation and specify the CA in
your openrc
Use API endpoints and horizon with self-signed encrypted and authenticated
communication

For real deployments, we don't recommend using kolla-anible certificates
but instead obtaining a certificate signed by a legitimate signing
authority.  Then the workflow is:

Place certificates in /etc/kolla
kolla-ansible deploy
Use openstack clients as you please.

>- Is IPv6 fully supported?

Considering ipv4 addresses code is used throughout Ansible, I don't think
it would be possible at this time to deploy OpenStack with Ansible on an
IPv6 based network.  If the IPv6 network nodes also had an IPv4 address
which is commonly how IPv6 is deployed, everything would work perfectly.

Note, neutron does obviously work with IPv6 out of the box.

>- What integration exists for isolation of network traffic between
>  services?

Could you go into more detail on what your looking at here?  If you mean
are our internal management networks and external API networks segregated,
the answer is yes.  Also the storage network, tunnel network, and neutron
networks can be segregated.

>- What's the update/upgrade model, what downtime is associated with minor
>  version updates and upgrades requiring RPC/DB migration?  What's tested
>  in CI in this regard?

We are just starting to test upgrade in the CI/CD system.  This work is in
progress and should finish by Newton 1.

Upgrades are minimal downtime.  To upgrade you would do something like

kolla-ansible upgrade

And all of your cloud would migrate to the new version of OpenStack
without VM restart and with minimal (order of milliseconds) network
interruption for the virtual machines.  During the upgrade process which
takes approximately 1-2 minutes on my gear, it is possible some services
such as Nova may return errors - or it is possible our serialized rolling
upgrade has zero impact on upgrades.  We are uncertain on this point as it
requires more evaluation on our end.  We just finished the job on ugprades
in Mitaka, so we are short on downtime data metrics.

>Very interested to learn more about these, as they are challenges we've
>been facing within the TripleO community lately in the context of our
>current implementation.

A demo would help you understand the various aspects of how Kolla
operates, including  deployment, reconfigure, and upgrade.  It takes about
15 minutes to do all these things on a single node.  Just ping me on IRC
and we can setup a time.  I can't at the moment demo multinode because my
lab is in shambles as a result of a remodel but it works nearly exactly
the same from an interaction standpoint.

>Regardless of the answers I think moving towards a model where we enable
>more choice and easier integration between the various efforts (such as
>the
>split-stack model referred to above) is a good thing and I definitely
>welcome building on the existing collaboration we have between the
>TripleO,
>Kolla and other deployment focussed communities.

Good to hear.

Regards
-steve