[openstack-dev] [heat] issue of ResourceGroup in Heat template

Sergey Kraynev skraynev at mirantis.com
Wed Mar 23 19:20:11 UTC 2016

Steven,

Honestly I thought about it, but I am not sure, which behavior was
before for both. I don't mind if we create such bug and investigate
the root cause (unfortunately I had not time to do it yet).
The my main point was to provide workable way for mentioned issue.

p.s. there is corresponding bug was created
https://bugs.launchpad.net/heat/+bug/1561157

On 23 March 2016 at 20:35, Steven Hardy <shardy at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 23, 2016 at 05:25:57PM +0300, Sergey Kraynev wrote:
>>    Hello,
>>    It looks similar on issue, which was discussed here [1]
>>    I suppose, that the root cause is incorrect using get_attr for your case.
>>    Probably you got "list"  instead of "string".
>>    F.e. if I do something similar:
>>    outputs:
>>      rg_1:
>>        value: {get_attr: [rg_a, rg_a_public_ip]}
>>      rg_2:
>>        value: {get_attr: [rg_a, rg_a_public_ip, 0]}
>>
>>      rg_3:
>>        value: {get_attr: [rg_a]}
>>      rg_4:
>>        value: {get_attr: [rg_a, resource.0.rg_a_public_ip]}
>>    where rg_a is also resource group which uses custom template as resource.
>>    the custom template has output value rg_a_public_ip.
>>    The output for it looks like [2]
>>    So as you can see, that in first case (like it is used in your example),
>>    get_attr returns list with one element.
>>    rg_2 is also wrong, because it takes first symbol from sting with IP
>>    address.
>
> Shouldn't rg_2 and rg_4 be equivalent?
>
> {get_attr: [rg_a, rg_a_public_ip]} should return a list of all
> rg_a_public_ip attributes (one list item for each resource in the group),
> then the 0 should select the first item from that list?
>
> If it's returning the first character of the first element, that sounds
> like a bug to me?
>
> Steve

Regards,
Sergey.