[openstack-dev] [magnum] Generate atomic images using diskimage-builder

Ton Ngo ton at us.ibm.com
Wed Mar 23 17:10:26 UTC 2016

Hi Yolanda,
     Thank you for making a huge improvement from the manual process of
building the Fedora Atomic image.
Although Atomic does publish a public OpenStack image that is being
considered in this patch:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/276232/
in the past we have come to many situations where we need an image with
specific version of certain software
for features or bug fixes (Kubernetes, Docker, Flannel, ...).  So the
automated and customizable build process
will be very helpful.

    With respect to where to land the patch, I think diskimage-builder is a
reasonable target.
If it does not land there, Magnum does currently have 2 sets of
diskimage-builder elements for Mesos image
and Ironic image, so it is also reasonable to submit the patch to Magnum.
With the new push to reorganize
into drivers for COE and distro, the elements would be a natural fit for
Fedora Atomic.

   As for periodic image build, it's a good idea to stay current with the
distro, but we should avoid the situation
where something new in the image breaks a COE and we are stuck for awhile
until a fix is made.  So instead of
an automated periodic build, we might want to stage the new image to make
sure it's good before switching.

    One question:  I notice the image built by DIB is 871MB, similar to the
manually built image, while the
public image from Atomic is 486MB.  It might be worthwhile to understand
the difference.

Ton Ngo,