[openstack-dev] [magnum] Streamline adoption of Magnum

Adrian Otto adrian.otto at rackspace.com
Tue Mar 22 19:43:47 UTC 2016

Team,

This thread is a continuation of a branch of the previous High Availability thread [1]. As the Magnum PTL, I’ve been aware of a number of different groups who have started using Magnum in recent months. For various reasons, there have been multiple requests for information about how to turn off the dependency on Barbican, which we use for secure storage of TLS certificates that are used to secure communications between various components of the software hosted on Magnum Bay resources. Examples of this are Docker Swarm, and Kubernetes, which we affectionately refer to as COEs (Container Orchestration Engines). The only alternative to Barbican currently offered in Magnum is a local file option, which is only intended to be used for testing, as the certificates are stored unencrypted on a local filesystem where the conductor runs, and when you use this option, you can’t scale beyond a single conductor.

Although our whole community agrees that using Barbican is the right long term solution for deployments of Magnum, we still wish to make the friction of adopting Magnum to be as low as possible without completely compromising all security best practices. Some ops teams are willing to adopt a new service, but not two. They only want to add Magnum and not Barbican. We think that once those operators become familiar with Magnum, adding Barbican will follow. In the mean time, we’d like to offer a Barbican alternative that allows Magnum to scale beyond one conductor, and allows for encrypted storage of TLC credentials needed for unattended bay operations. A blueprint [2] was recently proposed to address this. We discussed this in our team meeting today [3], where we used an etherpad [4] to collaborate on options that could be used as alternatives besides the ones offered today. This thread is not intended to answer how to make Barbican easier to adopt, but rather how to make Magnum easier to adopt while keeping Barbican as the default best-practice choice for certificate storage.

I want to highlight that the implementation of the spec referenced by Daneyon Hansen in his quoted response below was completed in the Liberty release timeframe, and communication between COE components is now secured using TLS. We are discussing the continued use of TLS for encrypted connections between COE components, but potentially using Keystone tokens for authentication between clients and COE’s rather than using TLS for both encryption and authentication. Further notes on this are available in the etherpad [4].

I ask that you please review the options under consideration, note your remarks in the etherpad [4], and continue discussion here as needed.

Thanks,

Adrian

[1] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2016-March/089684.html
[2] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/magnum/+spec/barbican-alternative-store