[openstack-dev] [cross-project] What are specifications?
thingee at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 19:32:50 UTC 2016
Last Cross-Project meeting  I feel like there was some confusion around what
our specifications should be used for.
This mainly came up because of the rolling upgrade specification .
I want to clarify that this document exists as an incomplete specification that
was contributed by the product working group. The product working group's goal
is to capture use cases. Some of the use cases were seen as just a wish list,
which is fair. Originally I was hoping what the working group captured would
reflect what different projects are already doing today, not new proposals.
I think this document needs to be updated to be more accurate of that.
My takeaway from the discussion in the meeting of the people that are experts
in this area is there is no one magic solution to this problem. However, if we
want to capture best practices with things like RPC versioning and other
problems a project might want to solve in this area, that's fine.
Best practices is nothing new in the cross-project specifications  repo.
Same goes for guidelines . What's confusing and what fungi has brought to my
attention is the word "specification".
A proposal I would like to make:
* Clarify what cross-project specifications are .
- I do think specifications and best practices need to exist.
+ Specifications feel like they're required in my opinion. I think some
cross-project things like service catalog we want under here.
+ Best practices can be for rolling upgrades. While it's great if a project
can do rolling upgrades and use our existing solutions, according to some
experts there is no silver bullet to this problem.
I'm not sure why we need guidelines as well.
What do others think?
 - http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/crossproject/2016/crossproject.2016-03-15-21.01.log.html#l-259
 - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/290977/
 - http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/openstack-specs/specs/eventlet-best-practices.html
 - http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/openstack-specs/specs/log-guidelines.html
 - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/295940/
More information about the OpenStack-dev