[openstack-dev] [kolla] branching Mitaka March 21, 2016 (important note for CRs)

Steven Dake (stdake) stdake at cisco.com
Mon Mar 21 23:22:37 UTC 2016

From: Steven Dake <stdake at cisco.com<mailto:stdake at cisco.com>>
Date: Monday, March 21, 2016 at 9:02 AM
To: "openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org<mailto:openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org>" <openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org<mailto:openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org>>
Subject: [openstack-dev] [kolla] branching Mitaka March 21, 2016 (important note for CRs)

Hey folks,

Typically all projects branch at rc1, but originally because we had a mountain of blueprints and bugs after mitaka-3 was released, I sent an email indicating we would branch at rc2.

Unfortunately branching at rc2 is not a viable plan because we are gating the master code base of OpenStack with Mitaka deployment tooling.  Because this could result in us finding master bugs in the mitaka codebase, we are branching now, as soon as we believe the branch is fairly stable which I hope Is today :).

IMPORTANT for Core reviewers,
If any patch until the release of Mitaka has a TrivialFix  flag, please -1 the patch.  All patches need a bug id until Mitaka is released to properly handle backports into the mitaka branch.  If its not in the tracker and targeted for rc2, it won't be backported.  If it is in the tracker and targeted for rc2, it will be backported.  This includes tardy blueprint work.

Since sharing the load on backports hasn't worked in the past, I will take full responsibility for cherry-picking and backporting all bug fixes until Mitaka releases.  Any patch without a bug ID WILL NOT BE BACKPORTED - so please don't approve TrivialFix changes.  Documentation changes are ok without any special tagging.

Regards,
-steve

Master has been branched into stable/mitaka.  Master is open for business for new work.

I'd like to remind everyone people count on us to deliver a working bug-free Mitaka milestone.  As such, I'd super appreciate the team to stay focused on fixing the current 58 bugs in Mitaka rc2.  I am considering tagging an rc2 this Friday March 25th to lessen the number of bugs we have to specifically test in rc3, which would still tag on March 31-April 2nd.

If anyone is opposed to this tagging plan of releasing an rc2 and rc3, speak up now, otherwise that is how I will proceed.

We will be dependent on other projects releasing their final Mitaka milestone because other projects we import may not have released their milestone at the exact April 8th deadline.  For this reason I'd ask folks to be aware we may have a bit more time then other projects to release Mitaka.  The latest I'd like to tag Mitaka is April 15th, but we will tag as soon as every dependent project we ship has a release milestone that follows the release cycle.  This will allow us to release with a functional build from source and build from binary model for CentOS Ubuntu and Oracle Linux.

I'd like to take a moment to thank the tremendous work of everyone in the community thus far for cranking out so much work in this 6 month cycle.  Over 1000 commits - completely fantastic!  Let us work together to finish the job on Mitaka so Operators can feel comfortable deploying Mitaka with Kolla 2.0.0 as soon as we tag.

Regards
-steve