[openstack-dev] [TripleO][Heat][Kolla][Magnum] The zen of Heat, containers, and the future of TripleO

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Mon Mar 21 20:14:20 UTC 2016

tl;dr Containers represent a massive, and also mandatory, opportunity
for TripleO. Lets start thinking about ways that we can take maximum
advantage to achieve the goals of the project.

Now that you have the tl;dr I'm going to start from the beginning, so
settle in and grab yourself a cup of coffee or other poison of your choice.

After working on developing Heat from the very beginning of the project
in early 2012 and debugging a bunch of TripleO deployments in the field,
it is my considered opinion that Heat is a poor fit for the workloads
that TripleO is currently asking of it. To illustrate why, I need to
explain what it is that Heat is really designed to do.

Here's a theoretical example of how I've always imagined Heat software
deployments would make Heat users' lives better. For simplicity, I'm
just going to model two software components, a user-facing service that
connects to some back-end service:

   resources:
     backend_component:
       type: OS::Heat::SoftwareComponent
       properties:
         configs:
           - tool: script
             actions:
               - CREATE
               - UPDATE
             config: |
               PORT=$(get_backend_port || random_port)
               stop_backend
               start_backend $DEPLOY_VERSION $PORT $CONFIG
               addr="$(hostname):$(get_backend_port)"
               printf '%s' "$addr" >${heat_outputs_path}.host_and_port
           - tool: script
             actions:
               - DELETE
             config: |
                stop_backend
          inputs:
            - name: DEPLOY_VERSION
            - name: CONFIG
          outputs:
            - name: host_and_port

     frontend_component:
       type: OS::Heat::SoftwareComponent
       properties:
         configs:
           - tool: script
             actions:
               - CREATE
               - UPDATE
             config: |
               stop_frontend
               start_frontend $DEPLOY_VERSION $BACKEND_ADDR $CONFIG
           - tool: script
             actions:
               - DELETE
             config: |
               stop_frontend
         inputs:
           - name: DEPLOY_VERSION
           - name: BACKEND_ADDR
           - name: CONFIG

     backend:
       type: OS::Heat::SoftwareDeployment
       properties:
         server: {get_resource: backend_server}
         name: {get_param: backend_version} # Forces upgrade replacement
         actions: [CREATE, UPDATE, DELETE]
         config: {get_resource: backend_component}
         input_values:
           DEPLOY_VERSION: ${get_param: backend_version}
           CONFIG: ${get_param: backend_config}

     frontend:
       type: OS::Heat::SoftwareDeployment
       properties:
         server: {get_resource: frontend_server}
         name: {get_param: frontend_version} # Forces upgrade replacement
         actions: [CREATE, UPDATE, DELETE]
         config: {get_resource: frontend_component}
         input_values:
           DEPLOY_VERSION: ${get_param: frontend_version}
           BACKEND_ADDR: {get_attr: [backend, host_and_port]}
           CONFIG: ${get_param: frontend_config}

This is actually quite a beautiful system, if I may say so:

- Whenever a version changes, Heat knows to update that component, and
the components can be updated independently.
- If the backend in this example restarts on a different port, the
frontend is updated to point to the new port.
- Everything is completely agnostic as to which server it is running on.
They could be running on the same server or different servers.
- Everything is integrated with the infrastructure (not only the servers
you're deploying on and the networks and volumes connected to them, but
also things like load balancers), so everything is created at the right
time, in parallel where possible, and any errors are reported all in one
place.
- If something requires e.g. a restart after changing another component,
we can encode that. And if it doesn't, we can encode that too.
- There's next to no downtime required: if e.g. we upgrade the backend,
we first deploy a new one listening on a new port, then update the
frontend to listen on the new port, then finally shut down the old
backend. Again, we can choose when we want this and when we just want to
update in place and reload.
- The application doesn't even need to worry about versioning the
protocol that its two constituent parts communicate over: as long as the
backend_version and frontend_version that we pass are always compatible,
only compatible versions of the two services ever talk to each other.
- If anything at all fails at any point before, during or after this
part of the template, Heat can automatically roll everything back into
the exact same state as it was in before, without any outside
intervention. You can insert test deployments that check everything is
working and have them automatically roll back if it's not, all with no
downtime for users.

So you can use this to do something like a fancier version of blue-green
deployment,[1] where you're actually rolling out the (virtualised)
hardware and infrastructure in a blue-green fashion along with the
software. Not only that, you can choose to replace your whole stack or
only parts of it. (Note: the way I had to encode this in the example
above, by changing the deployment name so that it forces a resource
replacement, is a hack. We really need a feature to specify in a
software config resource which inputs should result in a replacement on
change.)

It's worth noting that in practice you really, really want everything
deployed in containers to make this process work consistently, even
though *in theory* you could make this work (briefly) without them. In
particular, rollback without containers is a dicey proposition. When we
first started talking about implementing software deployments in Heat I
half-seriously suggested that maybe we should make containers the only
allowed type of software deployment, and I kind of wonder now if I
shouldn't have pressed harder on that point.

In any event, unfortunately as everyone involved in TripleO knows, the
way TripleO uses Heat looks nothing like this. It actually looks more
like this:

   resources:
     install_all_the_things_on_one_server_config:
       type: OS::Heat::SoftwareConfig
       properties:
         actions: [CREATE]
         config: {get_file: install_all_the_things_on_one_server.sh}

     update_all_the_things_on_one_server_config:
       type: OS::Heat::SoftwareConfig
       properties:
         actions: [UPDATE]
         config: {get_file: update_all_the_things_on_one_server.sh}
         inputs:
           - name: update_count

(Filling in the rest is left as an exercise to the reader. You're welcome.)

Not illustrated are the multiple sources of truth that we have: puppet
modules (packaged on the server), puppet manifests and hieradata
(delivered via Heat), external package repositories. Heat is a dataflow
language but much of the data it should be operating on is actually
hidden from it. That's going about as well as you might expect.

Due to the impossibility of ever rolling back a deployment like one of
those, we just disable rollback for the overcloud templates, so if
there's a failure we end up stuck in whatever intermediate state we were
in when the script died. That can leave things in an state where
recovery is not automatic when 'earlier' deployments (like the package
update) end up depending on state set up by 'later' deployments (like
the post- scripts, which manipulate Pacemaker's state in Pacemaker-based
deployments). Even worse, many of the current scripts leave the machine
in a state that requires manual recovery should they fail part-way through.

Indeed, this has literally none of the benefits of the ideal Heat
deployment enumerated above save one: it may be entirely the wrong tool
in every way for the job it's being asked to do, but at least it is
still well-integrated with the rest of the infrastructure.

Now, at the Mitaka summit we discussed the idea of a 'split stack',
where we have one stack for the infrastructure and a separate one for
the software deployments, so that there is no longer any tight
integration between infrastructure and software. Although it makes me a
bit sad in some ways, I can certainly appreciate the merits of the idea
as well. However, from the argument above we can deduce that if this is
the *only* thing we do then we will end up in the very worst of all
possible worlds: the wrong tool for the job, poorly integrated. Every
single advantage of using Heat to deploy software will have evaporated,
leaving only disadvantages.

So what would be a good alternative? And how would we evaluate the options?

To my mind, the purpose of the TripleO project is this: to ensure that
there is an OpenStack community collaborating around each part of the
OpenStack installation/management story. We don't care about TripleO
"owning" that part (all things being equal, we'd prefer not to), just
that nobody should have to go outside the OpenStack community and/or
roll their own thing to install OpenStack unless they want to. So I
think the ability to sustain a community around whatever solution we
choose ought to be a primary consideration.

The use of Ironic has been something of a success story here. There's
only one place to add hardware support to enable both installing
OpenStack itself on bare-metal via TripleO and the 'regular'
bare-metal-to-tenant use case of Ironic. This is a clear win/win.

Beyond getting the bare-metal machines marshalled, the other part of the
solution is configuration management and orchestration of the various
software services. When TripleO started there was nowhere in OpenStack
that was defining the relationships between services needed to
orchestrate them. To a large extent there still isn't. I think that one
of the reasons we adopted Puppet in TripleO was that it was supposed to
provide this, at least within a limited scope (i.e. on one machine - the
puppet-deploying community is largely using Ansible to orchestrate
across boxes, and we are using Heat). However, what we've discovered in
the past few months is that Puppet is actually not able to fulfil this
role as long as we support Pacemaker-based deployments as an option,
because in that case Pacemaker actually has control of starting and
stopping all of the services. As a result we are back to defining it all
ourselves in the Pacemaker config plus various hacky shell scripts,
instead of relying on (and contributing to!) a larger community. Even
ignoring that, Puppet doesn't solve the problem of orchestrating across
multiple machines.

Clearly one option would be to encode everything in Heat along the lines
of the first example above. I think once we have containers this could
actually work really well for compute nodes and other types of scale-out
nodes (e.g. Swift nodes). The scale-out model of Heat scaling groups
works really well for this use case, and between the improvements we
have put in place (like batched updates and user hooks) and those still
on the agenda (like notifications + automatic Mistral workflow
triggering on hooks) Heat could provide a really good way of capturing
things like migrating user workloads on scale down and rolling updates
in the templates, so that they can be managed completely automatically
by the undercloud with no client involvement (and when the undercloud
becomes HA, they'll get HA for free). I'd be pretty excited to see this
tried. The potential downside is that the orchestration definitions are
still trapped inside the TripleO templates, so they're not being shared
outside of the TripleO community. This is probably justified though
owing to its close ties to the underlying infrastructure.

An alternative out of left field: as far as I can gather the "completely
new way of orchestrating activities" used by the new Puppet Application
Orchestration thing[2] uses substantially the same model as I described
for Heat above. If we added Puppet Application Orchestration data to
openstack-puppet-modules then it may be possible to write a tool to
generate Heat templates from that data. However in talking with Emilien
it sounds like o-p-m is quite some time away from tackling PAO. So I
don't think this is really feasible.

In any event, it's when we get to the controller nodes that the
downsides become more pronounced. We're no longer talking about one
deployment per service like I sketched above; each service is actually
multiple deployments forming an active-active cluster with virtual IPs
and failover and all that jazz. It may be that everything would just
work the same way, but we would be in uncharted territory and there
would likely be unanticipated subtleties. It's particularly unclear how
we would handle stop-the-world database migrations in this model,
although we do have the option of hoping that stop-the-world database
migrations will have been completely phased out by then.

To make it even more complicated, we ultimately want the services to
heterogeneously spread among controller nodes in a configurable way. I
believe that Dan's work on composable roles has already gone some way
toward this without even using containers, but it's likely to become
increasingly difficult to model in Heat without some sort of template
generation. (I personally think that template generation would be a Good
Thing, but we've chosen not to go down that path so far.) Quite possibly
even just having composable roles could make it untenable to continue
maintaining separate Pacemaker and non-Pacemaker deployment modes. It'd
be really nice to have the flexibility to do things like scale out
different services at different rates. What's more, we are going to need
some way of redistributing services when a machine in the cluster fails,
and ultimately we would like that process to be automated, which would
*require* a template generation service.

We certainly *could* build all of that. But we definitely shouldn't
because this is the kind of thing that services like Kubernetes and
Apache Mesos are designed to do already. And that raises another
possibility: Angus & friends are working on capturing the orchestration
relationships for Mesos+Marathon within the Kolla project (specifically,
in the kolla-mesos repository). This represents a tremendous opportunity
for the TripleO project to further its mission of having the same
deployment tools available to everyone as an official part of the
OpenStack project without having to maintain them separately.

As of the Liberty release, Magnum now supports provisioning Mesos
clusters, so TripleO wouldn't have to maintain the installer for that
either. (The choice of Mesos is somewhat unfortunate in our case,
because Magnum's Kubernetes support is much more mature than its Mesos
support, and because the reasons for the decision are about to be or
have already been overtaken by events - I've heard reports that the
features that Kubernetes was missing to allow it to be used for
controller nodes, and maybe even compute nodes, are now available.
Nonetheless, I expect the level of Magnum support for Mesos is likely
workable.) This is where the TripleO strategy of using OpenStack to
deploy OpenStack can really pay dividends: because we use Ironic all of
our servers are accessible through the Nova API, so in theory we can
just run Magnum out of the box.

The chances of me personally having time to prototype this are
slim-to-zero, but I think this is a path worth investigating.

cheers,
Zane.

[1] http://martinfowler.com/bliki/BlueGreenDeployment.html
[2] https://puppetlabs.com/introducing-puppet-application-orchestration