[openstack-dev] [Fuel] [shotgun] New shotgun2 command: short-report

Vladimir Kozhukalov vkozhukalov at mirantis.com
Mon Mar 21 19:59:16 UTC 2016

Alex,

That is just a short report that QA team needs for their convenience.
Please consider this letter as just FYI, nothing more.

'shotgun report' allows you to see commit SHA from which a package was
built. It is even more information than it was available in version.yaml
and this information is actual unlike the content of version.yaml.

I know you were opposing getting rid of version.yaml but the thing is Fuel
now can be installed on any CentOS 7.2 node directly from RPM repository.
You don't even need the Fuel ISO, and thus version.yaml could not be an
artifact that we could rely on (no ISO build id any more, no sha sums).
Instead, now we rely on packages that are currently installed on the master
node. The only issue with this approach is the ability to easily reproduce
the env having just this list of packages attached to a bug. But it is not
worse that it was with version.yaml.

I'm currently working on design draft about modular data driven functional
testing. This could also help for troubleshooting. In a nutshell the
developer experience will be like:
 1) you look at log files (`shotgun dump`) and roughly locate the issue
(that allows you to choose respective test case)
 2) you run script passing some data to it (data are to come from 'shotgun
report --machinereadable' or smth like this)
 3) this script builds testing/experimental env for you (env is to include
only those components that are respective to chosen test case)
 5) you run some tests against this lab and manually do some experiments to
kill the bug

Vladimir Kozhukalov