[openstack-dev] [oslo][all] What would you like changed/fixed/new in oslo??

gordon chung gord at live.ca
Mon Mar 21 14:44:32 UTC 2016

On 20/03/2016 5:58 PM, Joshua Harlow wrote:
> On 03/20/2016 10:00 AM, Adam Young wrote:
>> I started with a blog post here:
>>
>> http://adam.younglogic.com/2016/03/what-can-talk-to-what-on-the-openstack-message-broker/
>>

>> and did a brief spike here:
>>
>> http://adam.younglogic.com/2016/03/tie-your-rabbit-down/
>>
>> We made the mistake of pursuing HMAC back several releases ago.  It lead
>> to Kite.  We don't need that yet.
>
> Nice I like the big table @
> http://adam.younglogic.com/2016/03/what-can-talk-to-what-on-the-openstack-message-broker/
>

> As for HMAC several years/releases ago, what was the issue (just
> wondering)? Just to much load on controller nodes to do verification?
> Not enough adoption, something else...?

we have HMAC signing in Ceilometer[1] when we passed messages between
the different services. i added support a long while back to support
disabling signing because it does add quite a bit of overhead to the
whole process. unfortunately the bug description i wrote was terrible[2]
so i don't have any numbers (though should be easy enough to figure
out). i don't believe it adds a lot of CPU load (not that i recall) but
it does add quite a bit of latency (10s of ms) to the whole process so
it will affect scenarios where you are dealing with large amounts of
messages or 'real-time' stories.

i tend to agree with ayoung that ideally we should leverage
authentication capabilities before considering the crypto scenario.
Kafka itself started to implement security in the latest release and
from what i can tell, there's a lot of disclaimers that you will
experience serious performance degradation if you enable it[3].

[1]
https://github.com/openstack/ceilometer/blob/master/ceilometer/publisher/utils.py#L43
[2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ceilometer/+bug/1436077
[3]