[openstack-dev] [new-project][gate]devstack-plugin-additional-pkg-repos

Markus Zoeller mzoeller at de.ibm.com
Mon Mar 21 10:55:17 UTC 2016

<openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org>
> Date: 03/18/2016 04:57 AM
> Subject: [openstack-dev] [new-project][gate] devstack-plugin-
> additional-pkg-repos
>
> Hi All,
>     I just wanted to update everyone on a new devstack-plugin that
allows us to
> install alternate versions of libvirt(and qemu) into a devstack.
>
> The motivation for this started in a Vancouver summit session but got
more
> steam from from[2].  There is a project-config[3] change to add an
experimental
> job to use this.
>
> The current state is that the plugin will install libvirt+qemu from
Ubuntu
> Cloud Archive (liberty) and that's pretty mush it.
>
> I admit with Ubuntu 16.04 coming out RSN the utility of this is limited
but
> that's just the first step.
>
> Some of the design considerations were:
>  * Decouple the building of $packages from the devstack run
>  * Use distrubution packages not tarballs etc
>  * The plugin is a framework that allows this to be used (for example)
by

http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2015-November/079679.html

http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2016-January/083947.html

> [attachment "signature.asc" deleted by Markus Zoeller/Germany/IBM]

Thanks for this Tony!
The libvirt testing job which makes use of that can be found at [1]
(not yet merged). To ensure a repeatability of the job, the version of
the additional package should be somehow controllable by the testing
job itself (maybe by another env variable "version" or dedicated libs;

    "/devstack/lib/libvirt1.2.16-qemu1.2.3" instead of
    "/devstack/lib/libvirt"

But that's a thing I'd like to do after the experimental testing job
runs successfully with the current happy path.