[openstack-dev] [neutron] report from Brno code sprint, Mar 14-16

Doug Wiegley dougwig at parksidesoftware.com
Mon Mar 21 06:11:17 UTC 2016

> On Mar 18, 2016, at 4:01 AM, Ihar Hrachyshka <ihrachys at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> Just giving my fellows an update from the event where we gathered our upgrades subteam to plan for Newton and do some coding.
>
> ==
>
> We had folks from multiple companies participating in the event (Red Hat, SuSE, Intel, IBM). We also had some folks joining us online. Thanks everyone who gave us a hand at these days!
>
> For the most part, we were working on the plan to adopt versioned objects for neutron db codebase. Just in case someone is not aware about the end goal for the effort: we want to eventually get to the point where you can upgrade your neutron-server processes between major releases without shutting all of them down to run database migration scripts. [There are other applications for objects, but that’s currently out of immediate scope for the N effort.]

What is the plan for out of tree objects derived from neutron, and out of tree projects that are using the current neutron objects?  Specifically, the ones which *can’t* use the REST API, because they’re for something loaded directly into neutron-server (core plugins, service plugins, etc). Will they work?  Is our live upgrade strategy going to be labeled “reference only”?

doug