[openstack-dev] [nova] no more expand/contract for live upgrade?

Sylvain Bauza sbauza at redhat.com
Fri Mar 18 08:55:34 UTC 2016

Le 18/03/2016 09:48, Dulko, Michal a écrit :
> On Fri, 2016-03-18 at 08:27 +0000, Tan, Lin wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I noticed that expand/migrate/contract was revert in https://review.openstack.org/#/c/239922/
>> There is a new CMD 'online_data_migrations' was introduced to Nova and some data-migration scripts have been added.
>> So I wonder will Nova keep expand the DB schema at beginning of live upgrade like before Or Nova have some new ways to handle DB Schema change?
>> The upgrade doc was not update for a long time.... http://docs.openstack.org/developer/nova/upgrade.html
>>
>> Thanks a lot.
>>
>> Best Regards,
>>
>> Tan
> [1] will help you understand current way of doing live schema upgrades.
>
> [1] http://www.danplanet.com/blog/2015/10/07/upgrades-in-nova-database-migrations/

To be clear, that's mentioned in the (in progress) release notes for
Mitaka
http://docs.openstack.org/releasenotes/nova/unreleased.html#new-features

"Added a nova-manage db online_data_migrations command for forcing
online data migrations, which will run all registered migrations for the
release, instead of there being a separate command for each logical data
migration. Operators need to make sure all data is migrated before
upgrading to the next release, and the new command provides a unified
interface for doing it."

HTH,
-Sylvain