[openstack-dev] [nova] working on bug reports; what blocks you?

Kashyap Chamarthy kchamart at redhat.com
Fri Mar 18 06:28:09 UTC 2016

On Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 03:28:48PM -0500, Matt Riedemann wrote:
> On 3/17/2016 11:41 AM, Markus Zoeller wrote:
> >What are the various reasons which block you to work on bug reports?
> >This question goes especially to the new contributors but also to the
> >rest of us. For me, personally, it's that most bug reports miss the
> >steps to reproduce which allow me to see the issue on my local system
> >before I start to dig into the code.
> >
> >I'm asking this because I'm not sure what the main reasons are that
> >our bug list is this huge (~1000 open bug reports). Maybe you have
> >reasons which can be resolved or mitigated by me in my bug czar role.
> >Let me know.

Effective bug reporting is top issue for me.  By "effective" I mean:

  - Not assuming any prior context while writing a report.  (Especially
    when writing how to reproduce the problem.)
  - Not forgetting to state changes made to various configuration
    attributes
  - Describing the problem's symptoms in chronological order.
  - Describing the test environment precisely.

Writing a thoughtful report is hard and time-taking.

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/BugFilingRecommendations

> Clear recreate steps is probably #1, but also logs if there are
> obvious failures. A stacktrace goes a long way with a clear
> description of the failure scenario. Obviously need to know the level
> of code being tested.
>
> For a lot of bugs that are opened on n-2 releases, like kilo at this
> point, my first question is, have you tried this on master to see if
> it's still an issue. That's lazy on my part, but it's easy if I'm not
> aware of a fix that just needs backporting.

I don't view it as being lazy on your part.  Other open source projects
use a similar method -- e.g. in Fedora Project, one month after N+2
(Fedora-24) is released, 'N' (Fedora-22) goes End-of-Life.  And, all
bugs (that are not solved) reported against 'N' (for components with
high bug volume) are closed, with a request to re-test them on N+2
(latest stable release), and re-open it if the issue persists.
Otherwise, it becomes difficult to cope with volume.

--
/kashyap