[openstack-dev] [neutron] Upgrading from Kilo to Liberty, missing database entries

Nolan Brubaker nolan.brubaker at RACKSPACE.COM
Thu Mar 17 14:44:20 UTC 2016

Hello,

Recently when testing neutron upgrades for openstack-ansible, I ran into an existing bug [1] where the networksecuritybindings and portsecuritybindings tables were not populated after an upgrade from Kilo to Liberty. Updating the table manually resolved the issue, as mentioned in the bug, but there’s been no further activity since that discovery.

Also mentioned in the bug is a migration [2] that should fix this. From my investigation, it appears this migration runs on Kilo install, where the networksecuritybindings and portsecuritybindings tables don’t exist. Then, when upgrading to Liberty, it is skipped by Alembic as it’s already run. Manually running neutron-db-manage again skips this migration because the database is already current.

Based on the above, I have 2 main questions:

1) Is this a known issue, or is there possibly a step I’m missing?
2) Is my understanding of the migrations correct, that the migration only runs in Kilo then is skipped in Liberty?

Thanks,
Nolan

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/neutron/+bug/1509312
[2] https://github.com/openstack/neutron/blob/stable/liberty/neutron/db/migration/alembic_migrations/versions/35a0f3365720_add_port_security_in_ml2.py#L46-L54