[openstack-dev] [kolla][ptl] Kolla PTL Candidacy for Sam Yaple

Sam Yaple samuel at yaple.net
Thu Mar 17 13:45:02 UTC 2016

I would like to announce my candidacy for PTL for the Kolla team for the Newton

release cycle.

I have been heavily involved with Kolla since the Liberty cycle. A few of my
major technical contributions include:

 * Bringing Ansible to Kolla
 * Containerized host dependencies (kolla-toolbox)
 * Named volumes for data in Docker
 * The kolla_docker.py Ansible module
 * The initial build.py (kolla-build) script
 * Making Neutron "thin" containers work

Some of the things I would like to see us focus on for the Newton cycle:

 * Separation of the Ansible code from the kolla repo into kolla-ansible
 * kolla-mesos and kolla-ansible testing, along with gating procedures leading
   the way for other deployment utilities to use Kolla containers (such as
   saltstack and kubernetes)
 * Stabilization of our stable branches. As a deployment project, I would like
   to see us increase our focus on the usability of our project. This means a
   much stronger focus on keeping our stable branches stable
 * Better use of the bug tracker for master and stable branches
 * Stronger documentation across the board
 * Better gates for testing deployment and upgrades from stable branches

My desire for this cycle is to focus on making Kolla usable to the people that
matter most to our project, the Operators. Several of us were operators
ourselves at one time and know the struggle of being forced to use unstable and
unintuitive software. The feedback we have received real-world usage has been
the most useful, I don't expect that trend to stop.

I am also very active within the Kolla community. I provided the highest number
of reviews and commits in both the Liberty and Mitaka cycles [0]. This has
given me a deep understanding of the codebase and inner workings of Kolla. For
these reasons, I have a strong vision of the direction we can take Kolla over
the next cycle.

Thanks for your contributions and consideration. I look forward to continuing
to work closely with our community!
- Sam Yaple

[0] http://stackalytics.com/?project_type=all&module=kolla&metric=commits