[openstack-dev] [manila] FFE for update_access implementation for Ganesha lib and GlusterFS

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Wed Mar 16 14:50:08 UTC 2016

Excerpts from Csaba Henk's message of 2016-03-16 15:02:40 +0100:
> Hi,
>
> I'm asking for a Feature Free Exception for the update_access code for
> Ganesha library and the two GlusterFS drivers (glusterfs, glusterfs-native).
>
> This benefits the whole project in terms of getting closer to the point
> when the backward compatiblitly hooks for the old driver access API can be
> retired. There is no change in functionality, except for one thing: the new
> code takes advantage of the new semantic feature of update_access, that is,
> recovery situation is explicit; thus with Ganesha, where actually a
> reset/restore operation can be performed, we can trigger this mechanism
> only if really that's what's being asked for (contrary to the earlier
> practice where reset/restore was done on each m-shr startup).
>
> The impact of the change is limited to the GlusterFS drivers (Ganesha
> library currently is used only for these drivers).
>
> The following changes are proposed:
>
> https://review.openstack.org/282602 ("ganesha: implement update_access")
> https://review.openstack.org/291151 ("glusterfs: Implement update_access()
> method")
>
> Thanks,
> Csaba

The feature freeze deadline was March 4, over a week ago. This week
projects are supposed to be preparing their release candidates and only
critical bugs should trigger another release after that and before the
final release on Apr 7. Please consider strongly delaying this work
until Newton opens.

Doug