[openstack-dev] [cross-project] [all] Quotas -- service vs. library

Amrith Kumar amrith at tesora.com
Wed Mar 16 12:27:27 UTC 2016

Nikhil, thank you for the very timely posting. This is a topic that has
been discussed quite a bit recently within the Trove team. I've read the
document you reference as [1] and I have not been part of earlier
conversations on this subject so I may be missing some context here.

I feel that the conversation (in [1], in the email thread) has gone to a
discussion of implementation details (library vs. service, quota
enforcement engine, interface, ...) when I think there is still some
ambiguity in my mind about the requirements. What is it that this
capability will provide and what is the contract implied when a service
adopts this model.

For example, consider this case that we see in Trove. In response to a
user request to create a cluster of databases, Trove must provision
storage (cinder), compute (nova), networks (let's say neutron), and so
on. As stated by Boris in his email, it would be ideal if Trove had a
confirmation from all projects that there was quota available for the
requests that would be made before the requests actually are made. This
implies therefore that participating projects (cinder, nova, neutron,
...) would have to support some reservations scheme and subsequently
honor requests based on a reservation. So, I think there's more to this
than just another library or project, there's an implication for
projects that wish to participate in this scheme. Or am I wrong in this
understanding?

Several have observed that we have a 'transaction capable DB to help
us'. Let me go further and say that we have a distributed transaction
capable DB (yes, if you squint just the right way, MySQL can do 2phase
commit) and we should leverage that to the hilt.

But, I'd like to get caught up on the requirements that this capability
is to provide before we get into implementations, so if there are any
descriptions of those requirements, I'd appreciate getting pointers to that.

Thanks,

-amrith

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/284454/

Amrith Kumar, CTO                   | amrith at tesora.com
Tesora, Inc                         | @amrithkumar
125 CambridgePark Drive, Suite 400  | http://www.tesora.com
Cambridge, MA. 02140                | GPG: 0x5e48849a9d21a29b