[openstack-dev] [tc] Question about electorate for project without gerrit contribution

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Tue Mar 15 21:58:42 UTC 2016

On 03/15/2016 09:35 PM, Hayes, Graham wrote:
> On 15/03/2016 20:29, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> Does the current PTL not have the ability to propose extra-atc's for
> this reason?
>
> Would a solution be for zigo to propose the people active in
> http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/openstack/openstack-pkg-tools.git/
> to the governance repo (including himself) and the TC approve it.
>
> This would give an electorate, and give Zigo the right to run as PTL.

Just for the record, it's not only this repo, but all the 359
(currently, and counting...) Git repositories of:
http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/openstack/

this one came out only because it's the only one I tried to push on
upstream infra. I didn't care pushing more packaging Git repositories
until we have a way to build packages, which is currently not the case.

BTW, I'd like to come back to the history of this project. A year ago, I
just wanted to start things on stackforge. Then, during the Vancouver
summit, I was pushed by many to enter the big tent. Which very painfully
happened, after a lot of convolutions: it was finally approved in the
middle of August, when I thought it would take a week or 2. This
postponed getting the deb-openstack-pkg-tools project-config patch
approved until nearly the Tokyo summit. Then the DIB patch to get a
Debian image is on its way to take more than 3 months, while it probably
doesn't need to take that much and be so perfect.

I understand that it took so long probably due to my own shortcomings,
and lack of follow-up on each of the above steps. I admit that I was a
bit lost, and didn't know what I could do.

The difficulties faced to bootstrap this project are very far from the
packaging skills that we want to deploy on OpenStack infra, which could
explain why I got lost and unfocused (dragged on doing the actual
packaging into the official Debian distro also).

It is my hope that this thread wont start another layer of bureaucratic
obstacles which I will have difficulties to deal with again.

The Fuel team, many occasional Debian contributors, the Kolla team, the
Puppet OpenStack team, and of course myself, all want this project to
get started on good tracks. It will happen, because of this need. Please
give it more time.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)