[openstack-dev] [tripleO][Neutron] neutron-lbaas agent service placement

Ben Nemec openstack at nemebean.com
Tue Mar 15 17:51:44 UTC 2016

On 03/14/2016 10:18 AM, Qasim Sarfraz wrote:
> Hi Triple-O folks,
>
> I was planning to enable neutron-lbaas-agent on a overcloud deployment
> but couldn't find any useful documentation. Can someone please point me
> to the required documentation? Is there a heat/puppet workflow available
> for this service?
>
> Also I had following questions regarding neutron-lbaas service placement:
>
>   * I am not able to find a network node or neutron node role in tripleo
>     templates [1] consequently the service will be placed on
>     controllers. Correct?

Yeah, there's work under way to allow custom placement of services, but
for the moment it would probably need to run on the controllers.

>   * Is it possible to run multiple instances of this service and use
>     HAproxy to provide VIP to the services?

Assuming the service supports this, it should be doable.

>   * Is it possible to run the service on the compute nodes? If yes is
>     there a installation workflow for this.

It's possible, but to my knowledge there isn't any existing support for
LBaaS in TripleO.  To enable it, you would need to:

-Add it to the TripleO loadbalancer puppet manifest:
https://github.com/openstack/puppet-tripleo/blob/master/manifests/loadbalancer.pp
-Add the necessary hieradata to enable it in tripleo-heat-templates.

This is assuming there is existing puppet support for it.  If not, there
would be some additional steps to get that into the puppet modules we use.

-Ben