[openstack-dev] [nova] Wishlist bugs == (trivial) blueprint?

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Tue Mar 15 14:23:42 UTC 2016

On Tue, 15 Mar 2016, Matt Riedemann wrote:

> We do have a way for people to drop off RFEs/ideas for features without
> actually providing design details, which is the backlog specs:
>
> https://specs.openstack.org/openstack/nova-specs/specs/backlog/index.html

In what universe is writing a backlog spec walking up and dropping
an idea?

It's not necessarily a bad thing to have that level of friction, but
it is something we should be aware of.

My take is that if we do have that level of friction then influence, in
its many forms, will solely be mediated by the vendors that consume the
upstream OpenStack community, or people who have the wherewithal to
become embedded in the community. Is that fully healthy?

Sean said:
> I believe that 0% of such drive by wishlist items ever get implemented.
> I also think they mostly don't even get ACKed until 6 or 12 months after
> submission. So It's not really a useful feedback channel.

That's a shame.

[snip]

Sean said:
> Agreed. At 1000 open artifacts (many of them bad), you can't keep
> enough context in your head at once to know things are really issues
> or not, and once they get old enough they are lost to the mists of
> time. Having a smaller high quality bug list would make it more of a
> todo list, which would be nice for both experienced folks in the
> project, and new people looking to contribute something off the bat.

I think whatever timegap we use for expiring stuff it should _not_
be on anything resembling the length of a cycle. It should be a bit
shorter so as to keep the ebb and flow of the bug handling on its
own flow: something that anybody can do in the gaps of whatever else
they are doing without regard to the cycle's handling of features.

But yes, some kind of expiration of the backlog would be great. I'll
start doing what I can when I see it.

--
Chris Dent               (¨s¡ã¡õ¡ã)¨s¦à©ß©¥©ß            http://anticdent.org/