[openstack-dev] [Fuel] Plans on networking modularisation

Evgeniy L eli at mirantis.com
Tue Mar 15 08:17:36 UTC 2016

Hi,

We've been working on networking modularisation, during this activity
Nailgun is being fixed [0] in order to provide better layer boundary
between network related code and the rest of the system.

The purpose of this email is:
1. To make sure that this activity is known in Fuel team.
2. To make sure that we are on the same page.
3. To make sure that it's something valuable and most of the Fuel team
supports it.

Some time ago I sent an email [1] on why we should do modularisation, here
is this list:
1. Reusability of components.
1.1. It will lead to more components consumers (users).
1.2. Better integration with the community (some community projects may be
interested in using some parts of Fuel and vice versa).
2. Components decoupling will lead to clear interfaces between components.
2.1. So it will be easier to replace some component.
2.2. It will be easier to split the work between teams and it will help to
scale teams in a much more efficient way.

High level action items are:
1. Make networking part in Nailgun replaceable.
2. Make the replacement, currently evaluation of several options is in
progress:
2.1. Implement separate service to store network related
(ips/networks/bonds/nics) configuration. Code name is Illmatic.
2.2. Just make it as an extension.
2.3. Reuse Neutron API with additional plugins/extensions to provide for us
a way to also store bonds/nics related information.

If you have any ideas or questions, don't hesitate to ask them.

Thanks,

[0] https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:bp/network-config-refactoring
[1]
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2015-October/077025.html