[openstack-dev] [manila] FFE for Removing the File Tree on Delete When Using Nested Shares on 3PAR

Ben Swartzlander ben at swartzlander.org
Mon Mar 14 20:57:09 UTC 2016

On 03/11/2016 02:42 PM, O'Rourke, Alex Liam wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to request a Feature Freeze Exception for Removing the File
> Tree on Delete When Using Nested Shares with 3PAR:
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/290209/
>
> Originally, this was filed as a blueprint and marked as a new feature
> (https://blueprints.launchpad.net/manila/+spec/hpe3par-nested-deletion),
> but it was reclassified as a bug fix
> (https://bugs.launchpad.net/manila/+bug/1538800) soon after. When
> deleting a nested share from 3PAR, the file tree is not deleted, making
> it so the contents within the ‘deleted’ share can still be accessed.
> This bug fix aims to solve the problem by mounting the parent share and
> deleting the file tree of the share requested. The issue is isolated
> only to the 3PAR driver.
>
> This patch adds configuration options for the username, password, and
> domain in order to mount a CIFS share. Config options are needed in
> order to fix this issue because without valid credentials, we cannot
> mount a CIFS share to delete the lingering files. Because of these
> options we are adding, the fix is to be treated as a feature over a bug.
> I am requesting the Feature Freeze Exception so we can get this fix for
> the 3PAR driver into Mitaka.

After looking at the bug fix, I've concluded that allowing these new
config options is the right thing to do, even though it's technically a
new feature. There is no good alternative other than leaving the bug
unfixed until Newton. Doug's concerns notwithstanding, I don't feel the
risk added by this feature is any more than some of the other bug fixes
we're allowing in.

This FFE is granted.

-Ben