[openstack-dev] [Horizon] How do we move forward with xstatic releases?

Matthias Runge mrunge at redhat.com
Sat Mar 12 20:11:27 UTC 2016

On 10/03/16 11:48, Beth Elwell wrote:

> If we will anyway have potential breakage I don’t understand why the
> better solution here would not be to just use the bower and npm tools
> which are standardised for JavaScript and would move Horizon more
> towards using widely recognised tooling from within not just Openstack
> but the wider development community. Back versions always need to be
> supported for a time, however I would add that long term this could end
> up saving time and create a stable longer term solution.

I have a few issues with those "package managers":
- downloads are not verified, there is a chance of getting a "bad" download.
- they are pointing to the outside world, like to github etc. While they
appear to work "most of the time", that might not good enough for the gate
- how often have we been blocked by releases of software not managed by
OpenStack? Seriously, that happens quite a few times over a release
cycle, not to mention breakages by releases of our own tools turning out
to block one or the other sub-project.

Matthias
--
Matthias Runge <mrunge at redhat.com>

Managing Directors: Paul Argiry, Charles Cachera, Michael Cunningham,
                    Michael O'Neill