[openstack-dev] KVM Forum 2016: Call For Participation

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Mar 10 18:19:36 UTC 2016

KVM Forum 2016: Call For Participation
August 24-26, 2016 - Westin Harbor Castle - Toronto, Canada

(All submissions must be received before midnight May 1, 2016)

KVM Forum is an annual event that presents a rare opportunity
for developers and users to meet, discuss the state of Linux
virtualization technology, and plan for the challenges ahead.
We invite you to lead part of the discussion by submitting a speaking
proposal for KVM Forum 2016.

At this highly technical conference, developers driving innovation
in the KVM virtualization stack (Linux, KVM, QEMU, libvirt) can
meet users who depend on KVM as part of their offerings, or to
power their data centers and clouds.

KVM Forum will include sessions on the state of the KVM
virtualization stack, planning for the future, and many
opportunities for attendees to collaborate. As we celebrate ten years
of KVM development in the Linux kernel, KVM continues to be a
critical part of the FOSS cloud infrastructure.

This year, KVM Forum is joining LinuxCon and ContainerCon in Toronto,
Canada. Selected talks from KVM Forum will be presented on Wednesday
August 24 to the full audience of LinuxCon and ContainerCon. Also,
attendees of KVM Forum will have access to all of the LinuxCon and
ContainerCon talks on Wednesday.

http://events.linuxfoundation.org/cfp

Suggested topics:

KVM and Linux
* Scaling and optimizations
* Nested virtualization
* Linux kernel performance improvements
* Resource management (CPU, I/O, memory)
* Hardening and security
* VFIO: SR-IOV, GPU, platform device assignment
* Architecture ports

QEMU
* Management interfaces: QOM and QMP
* New devices, new boards, new architectures
* Scaling and optimizations
* Desktop virtualization and SPICE
* Virtual GPU
* virtio and vhost, including non-Linux or non-virtualized uses
* Hardening and security
* New storage features
* Live migration and fault tolerance
* High availability and continuous backup
* Real-time guest support
* Emulation and TCG
* Firmware: ACPI, UEFI, coreboot, u-Boot, etc.
* Testing

Management and infrastructure
* Managing KVM: Libvirt, OpenStack, oVirt, etc.
* Storage: glusterfs, Ceph, etc.
* Software defined networking: Open vSwitch, OpenDaylight, etc.
* Network Function Virtualization
* Security
* Provisioning
* Performance tuning

===============
SUBMITTING YOUR PROPOSAL
===============
Abstracts due: May 1, 2016

Please submit a short abstract (~150 words) describing your presentation
proposal. Slots vary in length up to 45 minutes. Also include the proposal
type -- one of:
- technical talk
- end-user talk

Submit your proposal here:
http://events.linuxfoundation.org/cfp
Please only use the categories "presentation" and "panel discussion"

You will receive a notification whether or not your presentation proposal
was accepted by May 27, 2016.

Speakers will receive a complimentary pass for the event. In the instance
that your submission has multiple presenters, only the primary speaker for a
proposal will receive a complementary event pass. For panel discussions, all
panelists will receive a complimentary event pass.

TECHNICAL TALKS

A good technical talk should not just report on what has happened over
the last year; it should present a concrete problem and how it impacts
the user and/or developer community. Whenever applicable, focus on
work that needs to be done, difficulties that haven't yet been solved,
and on decisions that other developers should be aware of. Summarizing
recent developments is okay but it should not be more than a small
portion of the overall talk.

END-USER TALKS

One of the big challenges as developers is to know what, where and how
people actually use our software. We will reserve a few slots for end
users talking about their deployment challenges and achievements.

If you are using KVM in production you are encouraged submit a speaking
proposal. Simply mark it as an end-user talk. As an end user, this is a
unique opportunity to get your input to developers.

HANDS-ON / BOF SESSIONS

We will reserve some time for people to get together and discuss
strategic decisions as well as other topics that are best solved within
smaller groups.

These sessions will be announced during the event. If you are interested
in organizing such a session, please add it to the list at

  http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/KVM_Forum_2016_BOF

Let people you think might be interested know about it, and encourage
them to add their names to the wiki page as well. Please try to
add your ideas to the list before KVM Forum starts.

PANEL DISCUSSIONS

If you are proposing a panel discussion, please make sure that you list
all of your potential panelists in your abstract. We will request full
biographies if a panel is accepted.

===============
HOTEL / TRAVEL
===============

This year's event will take place at the Westin Harbour Castle Toronto.
For information on discounted room rates for conference attendees
and on other hotels close to the conference, please visit
http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/kvm-forum/attend/hotel-travel.

As of March 15, 2016, non-US citizens need either a visa or an Electronic
Travel Authorization (eTA) in order to enter Canada. Detailed information
on the travel documentation required for your country of origin can
be found at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp and
http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/kvm-forum/attend/hotel-travel.

** We urge you to start this process as quickly as possible to ensure
** receipt of appropriate travel documentation in time for your conference
** travel to Canada.  For processing times for visa applications, please visit
** http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/.

===============
IMPORTANT DATES
Notification: May 27, 2015
Schedule announced: June 3, 2015
Event dates: August 24-26, 2016

Thank you for your interest in KVM. We're looking forward to your
submissions and seeing you at the KVM Forum 2016 in August!

-your KVM Forum 2016 Program Committee

Please contact us with any questions or comments at
kvm-forum-2016-pc at redhat.com