[openstack-dev] Branch miss-match between server and client in Kilo

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Mar 10 16:09:37 UTC 2016

On 3/10/2016 9:04 AM, Matt Riedemann wrote:

> On 3/9/2016 10:16 PM, Janki Chhatbar wrote:
>> Hi All
>>
>> Greetings for the day!
>>
>> I have noticed that while installing*OpenStack Kilo* using DevStack, the
>> server components cloned are stable/kilo whereas the client components
>> cloned are master. This leads to errors in installation or commands
>> miss-match. For eg.
>>
>> _In tacker,_
>> tacker git repo is stable/kilo which points to incorrect git repo URL. I
>> have filled a  bug and proposed a patch for this
>> (https://bugs.launchpad.net/tacker/+bug/1555130)
>>
>> _In Magnum_,
>> *magnum stable/kilo* clones *python-magnumclient master* which leads to
>> command mismatch (https://bugs.launchpad.net/magnum/+bug/1509273).
>>
>>  1. Does this affect all other services?
>>  2. Does this mean that the branch needs to be changed for all the
>>     service's clients? The change will be in /devstack/lib/{service}
>>     file in "GITBRANCH" variable.
>>
>>   If changes are required, I am willing to work on those.
>>
>> Thanking you
>>
>> Janki Chhatbar
>> OpenStack | SDN | Docker
>> (+91) 9409239106
>> simplyexplainedblog.wordpress.com
>> <http://simplyexplainedblog.wordpress.com>

> Assuming the APIs in the server projects have not made backward
> incompatible changes since Kilo, the clients from master should continue
> to work. That's a big assumption with some projects, however.
>
> If the clients on master implement CLIs for new features that landed
> after Kilo, then those won't work.

By the way, normally devstack would limit the versions of the clients
installed based on what's in global-requirements, but in your case,
tacker and magnumclient aren't in there (they were newer after kilo):

https://github.com/openstack/requirements/blob/stable/kilo/global-requirements.txt

Matt Riedemann