[openstack-dev] [docs] [api] Why WADL when you can Swagger

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Thu Mar 10 14:03:42 UTC 2016

Ok, I'm responding very late to this thread because other bits of the
release cycle had attention.

A couple of questions.

1) why are we using the JSON version of the specification instead of the
YAML one -
https://github.com/OAI/OpenAPI-Specification/blob/master/versions/2.0.md#format

One of the reasons this is a bit of a hot button issue for me is beyond
YAML being a bit more readable, it allows *comments* in the file. The
lack of comments support in JSON makes it really problematic to do
anything except completely obvious things that will only ever be
consumed by a computer. Some of these APIs are big, and being able to
provide annotations to API spec developers is really important.

2) What is the tox target I can use to build the HTML out of swagger for
a single project? So that we can iterate here.

3) What is the current best thinking about microversion specification.

This is the #1 current issue with our API reference site, as we've now
got 3 (and soon 4) APIs doing this, but 0 support on the API site to
display this information. If we don't have a near term path forward I
think we're going to just have to dump all the tools and just go to
editing the HTML directly.

Sean Dague
http://dague.net