[openstack-dev] [nova] bug reports and stable branches: tags or series?

Markus Zoeller mzoeller at de.ibm.com
Wed Mar 9 17:35:11 UTC 2016

Matt Riedemann <mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote on 03/04/2016 04:29:53
PM:

> From: Matt Riedemann <mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com>
> To: openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org
> Date: 03/04/2016 04:30 PM
> Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [nova] bug reports and stable branches:
> tags or series?
>

> On 3/4/2016 6:27 AM, Markus Zoeller wrote:
> > What's the story behind having the tags "in-stable-liberty" and
> > "liberty-backport-potential" and also having the series target
"liberty"?

> > I didn't gave much TCL to the backports in the past but I'd like to
> > change that, that's why I'm asking. Please let me know the history
> > behind it.
> >
> > Regards, Markus Zoeller (markus_z)

> The 'liberty-backport-potential' tag can be set by anyone if the bug fix

> is a potential backport for the stable/liberty branch. This is generally

> good to set if the bug was reported against liberty itself, a release
> before liberty but not fixed in liberty, or reported after liberty but
> was a latent bug in liberty. Basically, if the bug is also in liberty,
> it's backport potential to also fix it there.
>
> The 'in-stable-liberty' tag is applied by infra when a stable branch
> patch is merged. I haven't actually been seeing this happening as
> automatically as before with the in-stable-kilo tag. I'm not sure if
> that's a bug in infra or if it's by design (or maybe it doesn't happen
> if the bug is nominated (series target) for the liberty release).
>
> The series target is really just for tracking the progress of a
> backport, like on master. It sets the status/importance/owner, which is
> useful. The thing with the series target though is anyone (at least
> anyone part of the nova bug team) can nominate a bug for a series, but
> only drivers [1] can accept it.
>
> So, my general workflow is to both tag and nominate for backports. We
> really want people to use the tag because then the bug team can come
> along later and do the series nominations if those haven't happened yet.

> But I use the tag to query launchpad for fixed bugs that have a tag like

> liberty-backport-potential, and then I dig into those bugs to see if a
> fix has been proposed as a backport to stable/liberty yet. Sometimes
> that's already done and we can just remove the tag (or replace it with
> in-stable-liberty), or we can work on backporting the fix (if it's fits
> the stable branch policy for appropriate fixes [2]).
>
> As I mentioned in the nova team meeting yesterday it'd be helpful to the

> stable maintenance team if people doing bug triage can apply the
> *-backport-potential tags depending on what release the bug was reported

> against. You don't have to dig into the details to figure out if it's
> actually a latent bug or not, just if someone says they hit a bug on
> liberty, we can add kilo-backport-potential so we can look into it when
> that time comes (after it's fixed on trunk).

> [...]

OK, thanks, I got it. I'm not yet sure how to encourage this.
I did a query on our current open bugs, not sure if this is helpful
for the stable maintance team. The result of [1] will look like this:

    Bugs (potential backports to releases)
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1382153 (n-cond shoul not
join[...]
       kilo-backport-potential
    # [...]
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1476591 (volume in_use after
V[...]
       liberty-backport-potential, kilo-backport-potential
    # [...]
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1191960 (force-delete of
cinde[...]
       mitaka-backport-potential, liberty-backport-potential,
kilo-back[...]
    # [...]

    Bugs ("mitaka-backport-potential")
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1506390 (LXC instances cannot