[openstack-dev] {openstack-dev][tc] Leadership training proposal/info

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Wed Mar 9 17:32:38 UTC 2016

Excerpts from Sean Dague's message of 2016-03-09 12:22:08 -0500:
> [...]
> >>>

> >> So I laid out some of the questions I think the community could benefit
> >> from alignment on in the etherpad I started already[0], but one of the
> >> things that really struck me when talking to various members of the TC and
> >> the community at large about leadership was how vastly different everyone's
> >> experience, opinions, and approaches were to the questions I asked (which
> >> were variations of: "As an elected leader in OpenStack, what do you wish
> >> you would've had as resources to help you adjust to a leadership position?"
> >> and "What do you think leaders in OpenStack could benefit from, in terms of
> >> skillsets that could be strengthened or added via any kind of training?")
> >> At some points, I had people suggesting to me completely opposite
> >> definitions for the 'problem' of leadership in OpenStack, suggesting that
> >> certain skillsets that others wanted training for didn't matter at all, and
> >> generally realized that maybe we all don't have a great shared definition
> >> of what leadership skills matter here in the community. Having been
> >> interacting with the community for a few years  now, I wasn't surprised by
> >> the diversity of opinions, but I think it does mean that some alignment on
> >> defining the problem would be worthwhile.
> >>
> >> Hence, the idea that perhaps a small group of existing leadership should
> >> get together in a room and talk about how to define/agree on the problem
> >> appropriately, first, before even beginning to think about having the
> >> conversation to come up with solutions for it. So in many ways, the goals
> >> or outcomes of this training would be to get more than a few people in
> >> leadership positions within the community to gather around a shared
> >> language and understanding of leadership in order to define problems
> >> collectively and move forward with discussing solutions more broadly. That
> >> could take so many possible forms, and be so many things, it's almost
> >> impossible to sort through.
> >
> > I agree we need to have the conversation and come to some common
> > understanding. It's not clear that a pre-defined seminar like this
> > is the best forum for that sort of discussion. Our values should
> > drive the discussion, rather than those of someone from outside of
> > our community.
>
> I've participated in similar kinds of activities both at a previous
> employer, and part of strategic planning for a non-profit. And in both
> instances they were extremely useful.
>
> The thing that is extremely important and valuable about them is a
> trained facilitator that has a ton of experience with groups of many
> different dynamics. And, more importantly, is outside of the group
> dynamic. A good trainer/facilitator knows how to get groups to go to
> uncomfortable places to let them challenge themselves, but can pull them
> back from spiralling into unproductive places. That is much harder than
> your realize. And having professional experience there is really important.

I know leading that sort of session is difficult. Is that what
ZingTrain is offering to do? My understanding from the earlier,
off-list, discussion was that this was their pre-canned training
seminar based on one of the books they have available, and not a
customized facilitation of a discussion about our needs.  Colette,
can you clarify?