[openstack-dev] [TripleO] Including Aodh and Gnocchi in Mitaka

Pradeep Kilambi prad at redhat.com
Wed Mar 9 16:33:44 UTC 2016

Hey Guys:

As many of you know, we have been working on getting Aodh and Gnocchi
support into TripleO. We would like to formally request these two be
made blockers to get into Mitaka release for TripleO. We tried to get
these into Liberty, but due to time constraints it seems slim that
that would happen at this point. We would like to get some assurance
from the community if this is possible. I will elaborate each case and
why we really want them in Mitaka.

Aodh is basically the same alarm functionality in ceilometer split out
into its own project.  This is deprecated in Liberty, as in the code
is un-maintained. In Mitaka, the ceilometer alarms are completely
removed. So Aodh is the replacement. Hence, Aodh has to make it into
Mitaka, without which we will not be able to provide alarm
functionality going forward. So please consider this a blocker for
Mitaka. Even better if we can get it backported to Liberty as the code
is unmaintained :) . The patch set is up for review [1]

Gnocchi on the other hand is a new project that was born to address
the performance issues Ceilometer has by reworking our approach to
metric storage, in order to mitigate some mis-steps in the original
storage architecture. Going forward Gnocchi is the preferred backend
for Ceilometer along with other supported alternatives. Gnocchi should
make ceilometer much more usable at large scale. It would be great if
we can get gnocchi support into Mitaka as well. Since this is a new
service, there shouldn't be any need for upgrades or migration. Which
hopefully should be make it less risky. The patch set is up for review
[2]

If we can make these a priority in review queues and get it into
Mitaka it would be a huge relief.

Please feel free to reach out to me on irc if i can help answer any question,

Thanks,
~ Pradeep

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/289435/
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/252032/