[openstack-dev] [kolla][release] Announcing Kolla Mitaka-3 milestone release \o/

Steven Dake (stdake) stdake at cisco.com
Tue Mar 8 22:09:51 UTC 2016

Fellow OpenStackers,

The Kolla community is pleased to announce the release of Mitaka milestone #3.  Angus Salkeld has agreed to be our release manager for the kolla-mesos repository.  As an aside, we held our midcycle during mitaka-3 development, for which the notes can be found here:

https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/kolla-mitaka-midcycle

Mitaka-3 changes:

  *   Named Volumes used throughout Kolla remove data loss problem with data containers.
  *   Upgrade to Docker 1.10.z.
  *   Upgrade of nearly all OpenStack services implemented.
  *   Upgrade of many of the key OpenStack infrastructure services implemented.
  *   Reconfigure for many services implemented.
  *   Introduction of a proper diagnostics system.  With this system it is possible to perform  data analysis and visualization, providing lightweight and scalable log processing.
  *   Security improvements
     *   Drop root in most containers implemented to protect from rooting of a datacenter on container breakout.
     *   Isolation of internal and external API networks.
     *   TLS for the external network
     *   Improved audit logs
  *   New and updated big tent OpenStack services:
  *   Manila container
  *   Convert Neutron to thin containers
  *   Custom repos in the base image

]The kolla-mesos repository continuess to make rapid progress.  The compute kit services can now be deployed using kolla-mesos including nova and neutron.  The implementation uses standard kolla container images without special building of the images specifically for mesos.  The kolla-mesos repository will be technical preview in Mitaka.

Two talks were accepted from Kolla community members.  Upgrading OpenStack was turned into what may look like a panel relating to Openstack upgrades.  Alicja and Michal have a full slot for our diagnostics work.  Make sure to tag these talks in your Austin summit visit if you can make Austin and have interest in Kolla.

We are super excited about the release of Mitaka-3!  We did some really impressive output in a short period of time, implementing solutions for 25 blueprints and 51 bugs.  This cycle our core team grew by one member, Angus Salkeld.  Our community continues to remain extremely diverse and is growing with 190 IC interactions and 40 corporate affiliations.  Check out our stackalytics page:

http://stackalytics.com/?module=kolla-group&metric=person-day

Regards,

The Kolla Community