[openstack-dev] OpenStack Developer Mailing List Digest Feb 27 – March 4
mike at openstack.org
Fri Mar 4 20:06:33 UTC 2016
HTML version: http://www.openstack.org/blog/2016/03/openstack-developer-mailing-list-digest-20160304/
* Ttx: Mitaka-3 is done.
* Odyssey4me: OpenStack-Ansible Liberty 12.0.7 is released .
* johnthetubaguy: Nova is down to four pending blueprints for feature freeze
now , sort of one day left. Better than it was this morning at least.
* Russellb: Got a set of OVS flows working in OVN that applies security group
changes immediately to existing connections.
* Tell us yours via IRC with a message “#success [insert success]”.
* All: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Successes
* Quotas and Nested Quotas Working group
- Meeting 
- Spec 
Outreachy May-Aug 2016: Call For Funding and Mentors
* Outreachy  helps people from groups underrepresented in free and open
source software get involved by matching interns with established mentors in
the upstream community.
* We have 10 volunteer mentors for OpenStack this next cycle (May 23-August 23
- Learn more and apply to be a mentor 
* Potential sponsors have reached out, but we need more due to the increase in
- Each intern is $6,500 for the three-month program.
- The OpenStack Foundation has confirmed participation.
- Learn more and apply to be a sponsor .
* Regardless, help spread the world!
* Full thread: http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2016-February/087459.html
Changing Microversion Headers
* The API working group would like to change the format of headers used for
microversions to make them more future proof before too many projects are
- Proposed guideline .
* This came up in another guide for header non-proliferation . After plenty
of discussions, and with projects already deploying microversions (Nova,
Ironic, Manila) the proposal is change basic from:
- X-OpenStack-Nova-API-Version: 2.11
- OpenStack-Compute-API-Version: 2.11
- OpenStack-API-Version: compute 2.11
* This allows us to use one header name for multipel services and avoids some
of the problems described in the header non-proliferation guideline .
Full thread: http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2016-March/087928.html
OpenStack Contributor Awards
* The Foundation would like introduce some informal quirky awards to recognize
the extremely valuable work that we all do to make Openstack excel.
* With many different areas to celebrate, there are a few main chunks of the
community that need a little love:
- Those who might not be aware that they are valued, particularly new
- Those who are the active glue that binds the community together
- Those who share their hard-earned knowledge with others and mentor
- Those who challenge assumptions, and make us think
* Nominate someone who you think is deserving of an awards !
* Full thread: http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2016-February/thread.html#87459
Status Of Python 3 In OpenStack Mitaka
* 13 services were ported to Python 3 during the Mitaka cycle: Cinder, Glance,
Heat, Horizon, etc.
* 9 services still need to be ported
* Next Milestone: Functional and integration tests
* “Ported to Python 3” means that all unit tests pass on Python 3.4 which is
verified by a voting gate job. It is not enough to run applications in
production with Python 3. Integration and functional tests are not run on
Python 3 yet.
* Read the full status post  by Victor Stinner.
* Join Freenode channel #openstack-python3 to discuss and help out!
* Full thread: http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2016-March/088389.html
 - https://launchpad.net/openstack-ansible/+milestone/12.0.7
 - https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/mitaka
 - http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/#Cross-project_Quotas_and_Nested_Quotas_Working_Group_Virtual_Standup
 - https://review.openstack.org/284454
 - https://www.gnome.org/outreachy/
 - https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Outreachy/Mentors
 - https://wiki.gnome.org/Outreachy/Admin/InfoForOrgs#Action
 - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/243414/
 - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/280381/
 - https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1HP1jAobT-s4hlqZpmxoGIGTxZmY6lCWolS3zOq8miDk/viewform
 - http://blogs.rdoproject.org/7894/status-of-python-3-in-openstack-mitaka
More information about the OpenStack-dev