[openstack-dev] [nova] nova hooks - document & test or deprecate?

Ed Leafe ed at leafe.com
Fri Mar 4 16:30:29 UTC 2016

On 03/03/2016 09:09 AM, Sam Matzek wrote:

>> > So, don't deprecate until you have a solution.  All you will be doing is
>> > putting people in a tight spot where they will have to fork the code base,
>> > and that is downright antisocial.
>> >
>> > Let's plan this out in the Newton Summit and have a plan moving forward.
> Deprecate isn't the same as remove unless I'm missing something on how
> this works.  I think we want to deprecate it to discourage further
> use, to gather current use cases, and to drive approved specs for
> those use cases.   Hooks should not be removed from tree until we have
> the replacements in tree.

Deprecate ideally means "Don't use this anymore, as it is not the
recommended approach, and will not be supported/available in the future.
Instead, use XXX."

In other words, don't tell people not to use something unless you can
point them to a better way to accomplish what they need to do.

--

-- Ed Leafe