[openstack-dev] [nova] bug reports and stable branches: tags or series?

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Mar 4 15:29:53 UTC 2016

On 3/4/2016 6:27 AM, Markus Zoeller wrote:
> What's the story behind having the tags "in-stable-liberty" and
> "liberty-backport-potential" and also having the series target "liberty"?
>
> I didn't gave much TCL to the backports in the past but I'd like to
> change that, that's why I'm asking. Please let me know the history
> behind it.
>
> Regards, Markus Zoeller (markus_z)

The 'liberty-backport-potential' tag can be set by anyone if the bug fix
is a potential backport for the stable/liberty branch. This is generally
good to set if the bug was reported against liberty itself, a release
before liberty but not fixed in liberty, or reported after liberty but
was a latent bug in liberty. Basically, if the bug is also in liberty,
it's backport potential to also fix it there.

The 'in-stable-liberty' tag is applied by infra when a stable branch
patch is merged. I haven't actually been seeing this happening as
automatically as before with the in-stable-kilo tag. I'm not sure if
that's a bug in infra or if it's by design (or maybe it doesn't happen
if the bug is nominated (series target) for the liberty release).

The series target is really just for tracking the progress of a
backport, like on master. It sets the status/importance/owner, which is
useful. The thing with the series target though is anyone (at least
anyone part of the nova bug team) can nominate a bug for a series, but
only drivers [1] can accept it.

So, my general workflow is to both tag and nominate for backports. We
really want people to use the tag because then the bug team can come
along later and do the series nominations if those haven't happened yet.
But I use the tag to query launchpad for fixed bugs that have a tag like
liberty-backport-potential, and then I dig into those bugs to see if a
fix has been proposed as a backport to stable/liberty yet. Sometimes
that's already done and we can just remove the tag (or replace it with
in-stable-liberty), or we can work on backporting the fix (if it's fits
the stable branch policy for appropriate fixes [2]).

As I mentioned in the nova team meeting yesterday it'd be helpful to the
stable maintenance team if people doing bug triage can apply the
*-backport-potential tags depending on what release the bug was reported
against. You don't have to dig into the details to figure out if it's
actually a latent bug or not, just if someone says they hit a bug on
liberty, we can add kilo-backport-potential so we can look into it when
that time comes (after it's fixed on trunk).

[1] https://launchpad.net/~nova-drivers/+members#active
[2]
http://docs.openstack.org/project-team-guide/stable-branches.html#appropriate-fixes

Matt Riedemann