[openstack-dev] [Nova] Grant FFE to "Host-state level locking" BP

Nikola Đipanov ndipanov at redhat.com
Fri Mar 4 10:56:28 UTC 2016

Hi,

The actual BP that links to the approved spec is here: [1] and 2
outstanding patches are [2][3].

Apart from the usual empathy-inspired reasons to allow this (code's been
up for a while, yet only had real review on the last day etc.) which are
not related to the technical merit of the work, there is also the fact
that two initial patches that add locking around updates of the
in-memory host map ([4] and [5]) have already been merged.

They add the overhead of locking to the scheduler, but without the final
work they don't provide any benefits (races will not be detected,
without [2]).

I don't have any numbers on this but the result is likely that we made
things worse, for the sake of adhering to random and made-up dates. With
this in mind I think it only makes sense to do our best to merge the 2
outstanding patches.

Cheers,
N.

[1]