[openstack-dev] [telemetry][aodh] "aodh alarm list" vs "aodh alarm search"

Qiming Teng tengqim at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Mar 4 03:46:38 UTC 2016

On Fri, Mar 04, 2016 at 09:57:35AM +0800, liusheng wrote:
> Hi folks,
> Currently, we have supported "aodh alarm list" and "aodh alarm
> search" commands to query alarms.  They both need mandatory "--type"
> parameter, and I want to drop the limitation[1]. if we agree that,
> the "alarm list"  will only used to list all alarms and don't
> support any query pamareters, it will be equal to "alarm search"
> command without any --query parameter specified.  The "alarm search"
> command is designed to support complex query which can perform
> almost all the filtering query, the complex query has been
> supportted in Gnocchi.  IRC meeting disscussions [3].
>
> So we don't need two overlapping interfaces and want to drop one,
> "alarm list" or "alarm search" ?
>
> i. The "alarm search" need users to post a expression in JSON format
> to perform spedific query, it is not easy to use and it is unlike a
> customary practice (I mean the most common usages of filtering query
> of other openstack projects), compare to "alarm list --filter
> xxx=zzz" usage.
>
> ii. we don't have a strong requirement to support *complex* query
> scenarios of alarms, we only have alarms and alarm history records
> in aodh.
>
> iii. I personally think it is enough to support filtering query with
> "--filter" which is easy to implement [2], and, we have plan to
> support pagination query in aodh.

+100

Really concerned that some projects keep inventing new things without
notion of cross-project guidelines. There have been a consensus to
remove individual CLIs [1], "advanced" filtering options [2]. If there
is really such a need to do '<cmd> resource search', maybe it is not
just an aodh thing.

Just two cents from a user's perspective.

[1]
http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/openstack-specs/specs/deprecate-cli.html
[2]
http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/api-wg/guidelines/pagination_filter_sort.html