[openstack-dev] [telemetry][aodh] "aodh alarm list" vs "aodh alarm search"

liusheng liusheng1175 at 126.com
Fri Mar 4 01:57:35 UTC 2016

Hi folks,
Currently, we have supported "aodh alarm list" and "aodh alarm search"
commands to query alarms.  They both need mandatory "--type" parameter,
and I want to drop the limitation[1]. if we agree that, the "alarm
list"  will only used to list all alarms and don't support any query
pamareters, it will be equal to "alarm search" command without any
--query parameter specified.  The "alarm search" command is designed to
support complex query which can perform almost all the filtering query,
the complex query has been supportted in Gnocchi.  IRC meeting
disscussions [3].

So we don't need two overlapping interfaces and want to drop one, "alarm
list" or "alarm search" ?

i. The "alarm search" need users to post a expression in JSON format to
perform spedific query, it is not easy to use and it is unlike a
customary practice (I mean the most common usages of filtering query of
other openstack projects), compare to "alarm list --filter xxx=zzz" usage.

ii. we don't have a strong requirement to support *complex* query
scenarios of alarms, we only have alarms and alarm history records in aodh.

iii. I personally think it is enough to support filtering query with
"--filter" which is easy to implement [2], and, we have plan to support
pagination query in aodh.

any thoughts ?

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/283958/
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/283959/