[openstack-dev] [kolla][security][release] Obtaining the vulnerability:managed tag

Steven Dake (stdake) stdake at cisco.com
Thu Mar 3 23:57:04 UTC 2016

Tristan,

Flying a bit by the seat of my pants here.  I can't find a simple
check-list of how exactly you get a project managed by the VMT :)  If
anything in this email is wrong, feel free to correct me and get us on the
right track.

The kolla-coresec team consists of the following folks:
Martin Andre
Steven Dake

Ryan Hallisey
Michal Jastrzebski
Michal Rostecki
Sam Yaple

That is one more person then the guidelines recommend, but they are
guidelines not hard and fast rules.  I was not able to include everyone
that asked to be included.  I'd ask for these folks to be active on the
bug triage for security for Kolla.

The next step is for us to locate a security expert to do a security audit
of the codebase including potential security issues with how we use
dependencies.  I'll be reaching out to the security team for guidance, but
have someone in mind (Dave Mccowan) who is a security expert and knows a
bit about containers and Kolla as well :)  If the security team would find
this acceptable and Dave would as well, we can proceed down that path, or
we could take recommendations from the security team instead.  Also Red
Hat has a great infosec team that audits every bit of code that goes into
Red Hat products, so perhaps Ryan or Mandre can reach out to them to audit
our code base in their copious spare time. :)

If the security audit turns up anything existing in the code base, we will
have to fix the bugs and attach them to the bug triage tool as * PRIVATE *
bugs and attachments.  I'll be seeking more guidance from the security
team as to how to proceed prior, during, and after ODS.  The long term
goal is to obtain the vulnerability:managed tag in the governance repo.
After that is achieved, this kolla-coresec team will still be responsible
for fixing problems found in the codebase and working with the OpenStack
VMT (vulnerability management team) to  release the changes in a
synchronized fashion.

Regards,
-steve