[openstack-dev] [neutron] - Changing the Neutron default security group rules

Eichberger, German german.eichberger at hpe.com
Thu Mar 3 17:44:36 UTC 2016

Hi Jon,

As part of our FWaaS V2 efforts [1] we have been rethinking FWaaS and Security Groups. The idea is that eventually to augment Security Groups with some richer functionality and provide a default FWaaS policy to add to the (vm) port. Furthermore there is a way to “share” Firewall rules with others so you could have a set the user could pick from. I think one of the problems highlighted in this thread is that we can’t think independently of securing a VM port and the perimeter security. To use the example the user wants to have ssh access to his VM and he does’t care if it’s blocked at the vm, the router, or some perimeter firewall — it should just work. So just looking at Security Groups as this thread has done si probably too limited and we likely need a bigger effort to unify network security in OpenStack…

Thanks,
German

[1] https://www.openstack.org/summit/tokyo-2015/videos/presentation/openstack-neutron-fwaas-roadmap