[openstack-dev] [oslo][all] Documenting configuration options lifespan

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Thu Mar 3 16:16:54 UTC 2016

Excerpts from Ronald Bradford's message of 2016-03-03 09:54:16 -0500:
> > > * When an option is changed, or marked as deprecated, during normal
> > reviews
> > > it should then be identified accordingly with these new attributes.
> > > * The "changed" attribute would only be applicable moving forward with a
> > > developer change in default value, ranges etc (changing help text or
> > > re-ordering is not a change).
> >
> > Would "changed" hold a list of changes, to provide a history? Or would
> > it just describe the difference since the last release?
> >

> I would consider "changed" as last release the option has changed, so that
> effectively for a given current release did the option change in that
> release, or not.  An option could change in multiple releases, and would be
> indicated as such during each release cycle.
>
> I do not see this feature providing specifics such as "Option X changed
> default value from False to True".  It would be that in a section "Changed
> Options" there is a list of options marked as changed. The use of comparing
> generated configuration files between releases as used now would determine
> specifics.  The goal here is to narrow down the time to do the work across
> many projects and projects with many options.

I see, so we would need to either update the flag at the start of each
cycle, or use a release version number and then the config generator
could compare the two versions and emit something different when the
values are the same?

Doug