[openstack-dev] [magnum] Discussion of supporting single/multiple OS distro

Hongbin Lu hongbin.lu at huawei.com
Tue Mar 1 20:56:16 UTC 2016

From: Adrian Otto [mailto:adrian.otto at rackspace.com]
Sent: March-01-16 9:54 AM
To: Guz Egor
Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [magnum] Discussion of supporting single/multiple OS distro

This issue involves what I refer to as "OS religion" operators have this WRT bay nodes, but users don't. I suppose this is a key reason why OpenStack does not have any concept of supported OS images today. Where I can see the value in offering various choices in Magnum, maintaining a reference implementation of an OS image has shown that it requires non-trivial resources, and
It is definitely non-trivial to create the first reference implementation, since we create it from scratch. However, I don't think it is hard to maintain an additional reference implementation. From technical point of view, most of the work in the first implementation can be reused and consolidated in some ways. Perhaps, what I failed to see is the claimed difficulties to maintain an additional OS. To discuss it further, I would suggest to work on an etherpad to list the overheads and benefits so that we can do a reasonable tradeoff. Thoughts?

expanding that to several will certainly require more. The question really comes down to the importance of this particular choice as a development team focus. Is it more important than a compelling network or storage integration with OpenStack services? I doubt it.

We all agree there should be a way to use an alternate OS image with Magnum. That has been our intent from the start. We are not discussing removing that option. However, rather than having multiple OS images the Magnum team maintains, maybe we could clearly articulate how to plug in to Magnum, and set up a third party CI, and allow various OS vendors to participate to make their options work with those requirements. If this approach works, then it may even reduce the need for a reference implementation at all if multiple upstream options result.

--
Adrian