[openstack-dev] [magnum] Discussion of supporting single/multiple OS distro

Steve Gordon sgordon at redhat.com
Tue Mar 1 14:28:11 UTC 2016

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Kai Qiang Wu" <wkqwu at cn.ibm.com>
> Cc: "Josh Berkus" <jberkus at redhat.com>
>
> We found some issue about atomic host run some docker volume plugin, while
> atomic and docker volume plugin both not sure what's the root cause of
> that.
>
> here is the link
> https://github.com/docker/docker/issues/18005#issuecomment-190215862

Thanks for highlighting this PR, I'll add it to my list.

> Also I did not find atomic image update quickly, ( but k8s and docker both
> release quickly, which can lacks of new feature applied in our
> development), I think atomic have a gap for that.

This is definitely likely to continue to be a real issue particularly w.r.t. docker itself - containerization of k8s, flannel, and etcd will alleviate at least some of the pain though as does the fact that updates are now in fact being pushed out every couple of weeks. As it stands the official Fedora Atomic images appear to actually contain equivalent or newer components than the custom builds at https://fedorapeople.org/groups/magnum/ (?), e.g.:

Fedora-Cloud-Atomic-23-20160223.x86_64.qcow2:

docker-1.9.1
flannel-0.5.4
kubernetes-1.1.0
etcd-2.2.1

fedora-21-7.qcow2:

docker-1.9.1
flannel-0.5.0
kubernetes-1.1.0
etcd-2.0.13

I digress though, as I said in the follow up either way it doesn't seem to me like only having support for one image would be a win for users - it does make sense though to expect more of the work to support each image to come from the folks interested in maintaining that support though than being spread across the entire magnum team.

Thanks,

Steve

> Kai Qiang Wu (吴开强  Kennan)
> IBM China System and Technology Lab, Beijing
>
> E-mail: wkqwu at cn.ibm.com
> Tel: 86-10-82451647
> Address: Building 28(Ring Building), ZhongGuanCun Software Park,
>          No.8 Dong Bei Wang West Road, Haidian District Beijing P.R.China
> 100193
> Follow your heart. You are miracle!
>

> From:	Steve Gordon <sgordon at redhat.com>
> To:	Guz Egor <guz_egor at yahoo.com>, "OpenStack Development Mailing