[openstack-dev] [nova] nova hooks - document & test or deprecate?

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Mar 1 10:10:04 UTC 2016

On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 12:36:03PM -0700, Rich Megginson wrote:
> On 02/29/2016 12:19 PM, Chris Friesen wrote:
> >On 02/29/2016 12:22 PM, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> >
> >>There's three core scenarios for hooks
> >>
> >>  1. Modifying some aspect of the Nova operation
> >>  2. Triggering an external action synchronously to some Nova operation
> >>  3. Triggering an external action asynchronously to some Nova operation
> >>
> >>The Rdo example is falling in scenario 1 since it is modifying the
> >>injected files. I think this is is absolutely the kind of thing
> >>we should explicitly *never* support. When external code can arbitrarily
> >>modify some aspect of Nova operation we're in totally unchartered
> >>territory as to the behaviour of Nova. To support that we'd need to
> >>provide a stable internal API which is just not something we want to
> >>tie ourselves into. I don't know just what the Rdo example is trying
> >>to achieve, but whatever it is, it should be via some supportable API
> >>and not a hook.,
> >>
> >>Scenaris 2 and 3 are both valid to consider. Using the notifications
> >>system gets as an asynchronous trigger mechanism, which is probably
> >>fine for many scenarios.  The big question is whether there's a
> >>compelling need for scenario two, where the external action blocks
> >>execution of the Nova operation until it has completed its hook.
> >
> >Even in the case of scenario two it is possible in some cases to use a
> >proxy to intercept the HTTP request, take action, and then forward it or
> >reject it as appropriate.
> >
> >I think the real question is whether there's a need to trigger an external
> >action synchronously from down in the guts of the nova code.
>
> The hooks do the following: https://github.com/rcritten/rdo-vm-factory/blob/use-centos/rdo-ipa-nova/novahooks.py#L271
>
> We need to generate a token (ipaotp) and call ipa host-add with that token
> _before_ the new machine has a chance to call ipa-client-install.  We have
> to guarantee that the client cannot call ipa-client-install until we get
> back the response from ipa that the host has been added with the token.
> Additionally, we store the token in an injected_file in the new machine, so
> the file can be removed as soon as possible.  We tried storing the token in
> the VM metadata, but there is apparently no way to delete it?  Can the
> machine do
>
> curl -XDELETE http://168.254.169.254/openstack/latest/metadata?key=value ?
>
> Using the build_instance.pre hook in Nova makes this simple and
> straightforward.  It's also relatively painless to use the network_info.post
> hook to handle the floating ip address assignment.
>
> Is it possible to do the above using notifications without jumping through
> too many hoops?

So from a high level POV, you are trying to generate a security token
which will be provided to the guest OS before it is booted.

I think that is a pretty clearly useful feature, and something that
should really be officially integrated into Nova as a concept rather
than done behind nova's back as a hook.

Regards,
Daniel