[openstack-dev] [DIB][TripleO] Refreshing the DIB specs process

Gregory Haynes greg at greghaynes.net
Thu Jun 30 16:49:23 UTC 2016

Hello everyone,

I believe our DIB specs process is in need of a refresh. Currently, we
seem to avoid specs altogether. I think this has worked while we have
mostly maintained our status-quo of fixing bugs which pop up and adding
fairly straightforward elements. Recently, however, we seem to be making
a push toward some larger changes which require more careful thought and
discussion. I think this is great and I really want this type of
development to continue and so I would like to steer us towards using
specs for these larger changes in order to keep our development process
sustainable.

The biggest barrier I see to us using specs is that historically our
specs have lived in the tripleo-specs repo. When we had a significant
overlap between tripleo-core and dib-core this worked well, but lately
many of the dib reviewers are not tripleo-core. This means that if we
were to use tripleo-specs we would not be able to approve our own specs
(which, obviously, doesn't make a lot of sense). As a result, I'd like
to propose the creation of a specs directory inside of the
diskimage-builder repo[1] which we use for our specs process.

Additionally, one of the goals I have for our specs process is to not
stifle the ability for developers to quickly fix bugs. Relative to other
projects we seem to have a high rate of trivial bugfixes which come in
(I believe due to the nature of the problem we are solving) and we need
to not place unnecessary roadblocks on getting those merged. Similarly
to other projects, I have documented a trivial specs clause to our specs
process so we can hopefully facilitate this.

Cheers,
Greg

1: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/336109/

--