[openstack-dev] [kolla][ironic] My thoughts on Kolla + BiFrost integration

Devananda van der Veen devananda.vdv at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 18:19:39 UTC 2016

At a quick glance, this sequence diagram matches what I envisioned/expected.

I'd like to suggest a few additional steps be called out, however I'm not sure
how to edit this so I'll write them here.

As part of the installation of Ironic, and assuming this is done through
Bifrost, the Actor should configure Bifrost for their particular network
environment. For instance: what eth device is connected to the IPMI network;
what IP ranges can Bifrost assign to physical servers; and so on.

There are a lot of other options during the install that can be changed, but the
network config is the most important. Full defaults for this roles' config
options are here:
 https://github.com/openstack/bifrost/blob/master/playbooks/roles/bifrost-ironic-install/defaults/main.yml

and documentation is here:
 https://github.com/openstack/bifrost/tree/master/playbooks/roles/bifrost-ironic-install

Immediately before "Ironic PXE boots..." step, the Actor must perform an action
to "enroll" hardware (the "deployment targets") in Ironic. This could be done in
several ways: passing a YAML file to Bifrost; using the Ironic CLI; or something
else.

"Ironic reports success to the bootstrap operation" is ambiguous. Ironic does
not currently support notifications, so, to learn the status of the deployments,
you will need to poll the Ironic API (eg, "ironic node-list").

Cheers,
--Devananda