[openstack-dev] [all] Status of the OpenStack port to Python 3

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Fri Jun 24 16:17:55 UTC 2016

On 06/24/2016 11:48 AM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> Excerpts from Dmitry Tantsur's message of 2016-06-24 10:59:14 +0200:

>>> Keep in mind that there is interest in running OpenStack on PyPy which
>>> is python 2.7. We don't have to continue supporting CPython 2.7
>>> necessarily but we may want to support python 2.7 by way of PyPy.
>>
>> PyPy folks have been working on python 3 support for some time already:
>> http://doc.pypy.org/en/latest/release-pypy3.3-v5.2-alpha1.html
>> It's an alpha, but by the time we consider dropping Python 2 it will
>> probably be released :)
>
> We're targeting Python >=3.4, right now.  We'll have to decide as
> a community whether PyPy support is a sufficient reason to keep
> support for "older" versions (either 2.x or earlier versions of 3).
> Before we can have that discussion, though, we need to actually run on
> Python 3, so let's focus on that and evaluate the landscape of other
> interpreters when the porting work is done.

+1, please don't get ahead of things until there is real full stack
testing running on python3.

It would also be good if some of our operators were running on python 3
and providing feedback that it works in the real world before we even
talk about dropping. Because our upstream testing (even the full stack
testing) only can catch so much.

So next steps:

1) full stack testing of everything we've got on python3 - (are there
volunteers to get that going?)
2) complete Nova port to enable full stack testing on python3 for iaas base
3) encourage operators to deploy with python3 in production
4) gather real world feedback, develop rest of plan

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net