[openstack-dev] [all] Status of the OpenStack port to Python 3

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Fri Jun 24 15:51:26 UTC 2016

Excerpts from Daniel P. Berrange's message of 2016-06-24 09:25:35 +0100:
> On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 11:04:28PM +0200, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> > On 06/23/2016 06:11 PM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> > > I'd like for the community to set a goal for Ocata to have Python
> > > 3 functional tests running for all projects.
> > >
> > > As Tony points out, it's a bit late to have this as a priority for
> > > Newton, though work can and should continue. But given how close
> > > we are to having the initial phase of the port done (thanks Victor!),
> > > and how far we are from discussions of priorities for Ocata, it
> > > seems very reasonable to set a community-wide goal for our next
> > > release cycle.
> > >
> > > Thoughts?
> > >
> > > Doug
> >
> > +1
> >
> > Just think about it for a while. If we get Nova to work with Py3, and
> > everything else is working, including all functional tests in Tempest,
> > then after Otaca, we could even start to *REMOVE* Py2 support after
> > Otaca+1. That would be really awesome to stop all the compat layer
> > madness and use the new features available in Py3.
>
> Please lets not derail discussions about completing Py3 support by
> opening up the can of worms wrt dropping Py2.
>
> Lets get the Py3 support completed and in the hands of users and
> proven acceptable before we talk about dropping support for the python
> platform that every single deployment runs on today.
>

> Regards,
> Daniel

+1

Let's take this one step at a time. Those steps are big and take
time, during which a lot of other things may change. When we're
ready to claim full support for Python 3, then we'll look at the
current support ecosystem and discuss dropping support for 2.

Doug