[openstack-dev] [oslo][monasca][requirements] Kafka 1.x for Oslo.Messaging and Monasca

Tony Breeds tony at bakeyournoodle.com
Fri Jun 24 03:37:56 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 05:34:27AM +0000, Keen, Joe wrote:
> Davanum,
>   We started work on getting Monasca into the global requirements with two
> reviews [1] [2] that add gate jobs and check requirements jobs for the
> Monasca repositories.  Some repositories are being adapted to use versions
> of libraries that OpenStack currently accepts [3] and we¹re looking at the
> libraries we use that are not currently part of OpenStack and seeing if
> they¹re worth trying to add to the global requirements.  We¹re hoping to
> be able to start adding the global requirements reviews within a week or
> two.
>
> We definitely want to talk with the oslo.messaging team and explain the
> ways we use Kafka and what effects the move to the 1.x versions of the
> library has on us.  I¹ve attempted to contact the oslo.messaging team in
> the oslo IRC channel to see if we can talk about this at a weekly meeting
> but I wasn¹t able to connect with anyone.  Would you prefer that
> conversation happen on the mailing list here or could we add that topic to
> the next weekly meeting?

These 2 are merged.

Taking a tangent here:

In 2014[1] we added a cap to psutil because 2.x wasn't compatible with 1.x
which is fine but 2 years latere we have 4.3.0 and because of the cap I'm
guessing we've done very little to work towards 4.3.0

I've added an item for the requirements team to look at what's involved in
raising the minimum for psutil, but:
    Requirement: psutil<2.0.0,>=1.1.1 (used by 41 projects)
it wont happen soon.

Is psutil the last of the "old" libraries you need to deal with?

Getting back to the topic of kafka, what are the pain points involved in
working with the 2.x API?  Clearly we're going to need to get monasca and
oslo.messgaing on a compatible page RSN or we'll end up delaying things until
Ocata :(

Yours Tony.

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/81373/