[openstack-dev] [tempest][nova][defcore] Add option to disable some strict response checking for interop testing

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Wed Jun 22 19:33:21 UTC 2016

On 06/22/2016 03:13 PM, Jay Faulkner wrote:

>>> And downstream vendors took advantage of that. We may
>>> not like it, but it’s a reality in the current ecosystem.
>> And we started saying "stop it" 2 years ago. And we've consistently been
>> saying stop it all along. And now it's gone.
>>
>> And yes, for people that did not get ahead of this issue and engage the
>> community, it now hurts. But this has been a quite long process.
> I don't wanna wade fully into this discussion, but a question about this
> here as there seems to be somewhat of a double standard. I know
> upstream, we generally "pay the price" for bad API decisions almost
> indefinitely, because we don't want to break users.

Upstream pays the upstream API cost. Because that's what's in upstream
and because that's what the API is defined as.

> Is it reasonable to
> expecting a public/vendor cloud, who will typically has even more
> change-averse users, to change that API out from under users without a
> version bump?

What you are asking is that upstream pays the fork cost of every public
cloud forever because they didn't collaborate upstream for their needs.

That can't be the right answer in Open Source, ever. It immediately
makes upstream actually impossible to fix root issues. Like security
issues, which is a huge reason that we put the strict inbound validation
into the API stack, as it means the data we're acting on has a
sanitization layer.

If your feature is not in tree, and part of the upstream testing, it is
at risk of break at any time. Upstream is not just a salt mine you
extract free stuff from, it's a garden you need to participate in and
sow and harvest together.

Which, again, is why we've been having this conversation for *2 years*
in the open. There was a 2 year coasting window to get there, to propose
the required elements into upstream, and have a completely soft landing.
People didn't do that. Why, I don't know.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net